Sunday, October 17, 2010

I have been lucky enough to enjoy quite a few really nice fall rides this year, so I thought I'd share some of my pictures for my fellow RACers who live in parts of the country without fall color.
Pretty sure I took this photo on a road, but it is hidden by the fallen leaves. We had quite the wind and rain storm on Friday, but there are still plenty of trees painting the landscape with yellows, oranges and reds.
Yesterday, my niece Ashley and I loaded AhD and his Haffie buddy Alijah into my trailer and headed to Poland to meet up with Ulla and ride her trails. She was still in church when we arrived at her house, so we tooled around the back roads and woods in her area and explored a bit. Boy was she ever surprised to meet up with us on the road! Apparently she did not check her e-mail to find out that I had invited myself over. :) Once all together, we headed out to the trail through the Big Field and then on to wind around through the barely-there path through the woods. AhD was too UP for me to enjoy a run through the field, but he listened to me and we did get in a nice extended trot. Once in the woods, he was well behaved except for the leaf snatching, and I was able to relax and revel in the splendor of the woods.What a way to spend a fall afternoon!
Ulla guided us to the bog,and since my handsome leaf-snatching fink was being SUCH a good boy, Ashley got her wish to ride AhD.
Of course, she loved him. Who wouldn't? :) She rode him the rest of the way to Ulla's house, and even cantered him up a hill. AhD was a PEACH!
At Ulla's we decided we weren't done for the day, so we rode in her ring. I practiced keeping AhD at a steady trot around the ring. Ashley helped me with my "rise and fall with the leg to the wall" because I have no clue. AhD and I are getting just a dite better at ringwork. (a very small dite) But I will say this, I also practiced his backing, and I was very pleased at his responsiveness.
One thing led to another, and soon we were riding bareback in the ring.Here, I am pointing to a spot where I planned to run AhD up an adjoining trail. Oh, how do you like the fancy seating accommodations? And the ring is made of stone dust laid over carpeting. It is SLICK! Yankee Ingenuity, and from a native born Danish person. Who'd a thunk it.
And I did run AhD up that trail by the way. TWICE. And it was FUN!!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like your fall is just about over too, eh? But don't you love how the leaves just carpet the trails now? SO amazing, and STILL gorgeous! =] You cantere AhD up the hill twice bareback? Good for you! As you are pointing, I think AhD is saying..."oh crud, this crazy lady is up to something AGAIN." LOL. I know that expression...Reese gets it all the time! Thanks for sharing, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Susan, it looks like you have become quite ab acomplished rider with a great hores, you both seem to have come a long ways together. That is great. you have some wonderful pictures and great memories to look back on. I still need to get you a hat though.
    Like you saddle AhD looks great in it.
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, I love it when AhD gets that lowered head and those floppy ears! That was how I knew it was safe to canter him bareback. :)
    Harold, that saddle blanket was for you. Did you notice? Betsy, now that your computer is fixed, I am looking forward to some of that Vermont fall color. We still have plenty of it in Maine, and it should last well into next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tillie, what can I say other than you and AhD ROCK! The areas you ride are are simply breathtaking! Keep it up gal pal....winter is coming and I enjoy your snowy rides as well! LOL!

    ReplyDelete