Sunday, April 10, 2011

Keri Masquerading as Annie Oakley

An accomodating friend came up to the farm to help with holding the camera and doing pics and video for me and Keri-- It was a nice day and we wanted to get started on our obstacles.  This particular challenge was fun for me.  I think it was last year that Denise video'd herself and Reese with a cap gun. I was enthused about trying it myself - but used a 22 pistol with blanks instead.. which I sometimes use to train my Lab.  

I practiced with about 20 shots on the ground and from different positions - ending with shooting over Keri's head.


When Keri and I are on the trail, we often hear very loud gunshots - either with people in their yard target practicing or during hunting season.  So far, she has been good about it - but now I guess if I HAD to I could shoot from the back of my horse.







Keri did a pretty good job - and as usual per her sometimes prima donna personality -- she was more pissy about being asked to stand still in the barnyard for what she deemed a pointless exercise. Doesn't being saddled up mean we are going somewhere other than up and down the driveway ?








This one is mainly to make a smile for the day.





We gave the 'on the ground' part a few more tries.. hoping to get very little reaction. 




We practiced a few times in the saddle standing and walking.









We ended with a canter/gallop up the driveway..  I would never have done this if I had not felt completely safe :)    I get more bucks and hops out of  Keri when we work in the ring on refining her taking cues. She's just a ridiculous poop head like that. But I love her :) By the way - you might notice I do have a nice bowtie of caution tape on Keri's neck.

Betsy and Keri from Vermont

4 comments:

  1. You two are unbelievable! Your videos are hilarious! I loved the gallop up the driveway like a real crazy cowgirl! What a team you make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan - I surely did have fun - I'm glad you enjoyed it :) Wish you had been here with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wahoo Betsy,
    Keri is my kind of cowgirl. Love the videos, Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy your very short videos - fun to watch! What a good girl your Keri is!
    Shelly in Summerland, BC Canada

    ReplyDelete