Sunday, June 26, 2011

Lovin' Linus

I am really playing catch up today! Our internet connection has continued to be very poor and I just don't have the time to spend more than hour posting! I have kept up with all of your posts though by reading them on my phone.
Linus and I have been busy. He has calmed down a lot I find with having an equine buddy. He is a very pleasant horse to be around.
We had some pretty hot days so Linus has had a few sponge baths. One day though I gave up on the sponge and just walked him to the hose and hosed him down. He enjoyed it! Head up in the air and nose twisted to the side.

I miss driving and even though I still haven't replaced the buggy I had I have continued to keep Linus fresh with it by ground driving. I am using a bit for driving and a hackamore for riding to help distinguish the cues for him. But I think he would drive in a hackamore too! Yesterday we ground drove beside Dad riding Allie. It went really well. Linus was an excellent listener and very well mannered too. He easily accepted the bit and even though he hadn't used one in a while there was no chewing or chomping.
Patiently waiting to get going!

Today, Dad went out with Mom for the day (cabin fever) so after doing the chores I saddled Linus and we had a ride in the field by ourselves. I tried him in both the bitless and the hackamore. I find he goes better in the hackamore (side pull). I purchased a new saddle for him and it's very nice to ride in. It's synthetic and very, very light.

I was so pleased today when we rode at well he listens to me, especially verbally! It's so cool that all of our ground work and cues have so easily transitioned into mounted cues. I was telling my Dad last week that it's so different riding a horse that you know everything about with regards to their training because you have done it all! That is priceless and I find makes a huge difference in confidence while riding.

He must get so sick of these shots! I'm wearing the very comfy Curly hat we won for the May mini challenge. But yes, I did change it for my helmet when I rode.

Linus was nice and patient for me to take this head shot while we were riding in the field. He was looking at Allie who I had in a round pen in the same field while we rode.

I hadn't rode Linus near much equipment yet but since it is all parked at the top of the field we were in we rode among all of it. He wasn't at all bothered by any of it.


Buddies shot!

My nephew was on Linus again last weekend for a short ride. He has such great balance and is really good with Linus. Linus is great with him too. I've said it before but I swear he knows he has a youngster on him. He's extra careful and super gentle. But he loves kids. He has also struck up quite a friendship with the farm dog, Essa. She is a big Newfie and they are inseparable now when we're out on the road. She even played around and followed us in the field today while we were riding.
I'm not a huge fan of the heat so I'm really getting anxious to take Linus back into the bush next winter. Maybe by early 2012 we'll be able to go for a ride back there. I'm still taking it slow and easy with him under saddle. No hills or anything just yet. Just walking on the flat.
Happy Birthday to everyone who had one this week! I'm sorry I didn't get to post on each of your days but we did get out and dedicate some time to each of you. Hope you had great days!

2 comments:

  1. Your pictures where adorable. At least Linus like to get his picture taken, Marley hates cameras I have come to discover. Your saddle looks really nice too, I love my synthetic saddle as well and I think Larry likes it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute pictures of you and Linus. Sounds like he is doing so great for you with the riding and ground driving!

    ReplyDelete