Saturday, January 19, 2013

Beautiful day , first ride in 6 months with Warrior Freedom

FINALLY sunshine. Still very muddy and wet every where so it was not safe on the trails going up and down the hills. I did not ride Freedom in at least 6 moths due to hoof abscesses. He had one huge one and it come out on his coronary band. He was in a lot of pain. When he healed two weeks later a second one blew out, yukk. So I gave him a lot of time to be sure he was sound and pain free. Just on a side note I used Oil Of Cajeput on it, worked fantastic! it drained quickly and no scary infection. If you need more info about it message me. This picture is when it just started to open up. (The crack on his hoof was already there when I bought him.)
Anyway I did arena work with him. I have been riding him in a Paul Dietz Clinic at our ranch last spring. he rides with Buck Brannaman. And we learned a lot. Later that year I went to a Buck clinic and learned a lot more. Today I did the exercises we learned and Freedom did great. After so many months being so good, he made me very proud. We did only walk exercises and a little trotting to get him back in shape. Don't want him to have muscle pain tomorrow ;-)

5 comments:

  1. So glad he's well! Sounds like an awesome day for you and him both! I'm sure it was very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh what a handsome horse! Looks like you had a beautiful day for riding too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear his hoof is all healed! He sure looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everytime I see pics of Freedom, I just think he is so stunning! Sorry you had abscess issues! I know what that is like...Reese had a few last year. It is a bugger! I've learned alot more about trimming and have him on suppliments and so far so good. I am hoping for an abscess FREE year this year for both of us! =] Thanks for sharing Marion!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your weather conditions weren't good for promoting good foot conditions in KY., Marion! So glad Freedom's feeling more comfortable!

    ReplyDelete