Thursday, September 29, 2011

We did it!

Hello All,
Well summer went way to fast for me. I have to say that I'm not doing the best at tracking my ride times or blogging but I'm still out there promoting!

The first big news is Theo and I jumped 3ft! It was an incrediable feeling. My instructor informed me at 2 "9" he wasn't even making an effort over the fence so we went bigger and he actually jumped the fence instead of hopping over it. I have some video that I need to upload still.
We also did another jumping show at the end of August. We got a few seconds and 1 first! I think we would have taken another first but I went off course and had to restart. My husband and I made some jumps so I can actually practice a full course at home which has really helped Theo's canter. We also went to an open show that was mostly Arabians and Morabs. The first day we got a 5th I believe out of about 12 or so. Then on Sunday we got a 6th in halter for sport horse, a 3rd and 4th in our riding classes. All the classes had 10+ riders so I was pretty impressed with our results. This weekend we will be attending a jumping clinic which I am pretty excited about. It will be Theo's second time away by himself and I think it will be better then the first. I've been taking him more places to help him relax some and trust me.
And of course the biggest news... I roached his mane! It surprisingly looks fantastic but it was hard for me to do. He lost about half of it again due to the lovely curly itch. I missed a few treatments in July and by August it was falling out. I'm hoping it will grow back thick and full by next year.

Abby has been getting some time off. She has hit a growing spurt and I just don't want to interfer with that since she had a slow start to growing anyway. Since July she has grown half an inch and since Nov. of last year she has grown almost a full hand! My vet thinks she will reach her full height (which is estimated at 15.2) as long as I keep up with her feeding program. She is currently 4 and 14.2 and half. So no other updates on her the few times I have rode her she's been quite the awesome horse.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you on your classes! What an acomplishment for you and Theo, keep up the good work. At times I think about roaching our other curly horse Larry's mane off too, just so it isn't so frizzy and let it come back more natural, but I just can't bring myself to do it! I give you a ton of credit for following through with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theo and Abby sound like wonderful horses. The jumping really sounds like fun.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete