Sunday, June 14, 2009

AhD's Big Week

AhD had a big week last week. We picked up a companion for him on Saturday morning, he had a vet check and chiropractor evaluation on Wednesday, and then he had twice daily ground work lessons for the remainder of the week. So, not only did he have a chiropractic adjustment from the vet, but also an attitude adjustment. You see, this lovely mare Belle thought he was the sexiest thing she had EVER laid eyes on, and AhD cooperated fully with her, if you catch my drift. So, back she went to her previous home at our earliest opportunity, and I set to work to gain back some of the respect that AhD used to give me when he was younger. Well...it worked! I had one of the best rides on him last night than I have had in a long time.







He was more soft and responsive, he wasn't looking for as much stuff to spook at, and he only halfheartedly tried to gain control a few times. We went out for a small spin and then tooled around the yard. I made my daughter take these pictures so I could show off my horse and my flowers. :) She said, "Mom, Ahd's the size of the head of a pin!" and didn't want to take it. I made her take it anyway.


As you can see, AhD wasn't any too sure about those puppies who were out for a little fresh air! It unnerved him when the yellow pup jumped on the fence which made a clangy sound, but I made him stick with it and behave.
We then went out for the second half of our ride, which was even better than the first half. AhD plowed through some really tall marsh grass, went down a steep grade on the powerline, bushwacked through some woods and caught the trail. On the trail, he was responsive and obedient, and we got in a few nice long trots on hilly areas as prescribed by the vet. AhD's bold power walk was back also, and man oh man...do I ever enjoy that! I owe a debt of gratitude to my dear friend Betsy Lirakis, Denise Conroy and Dr. Jefferson for giving me good sound advice and helping me through a trying week. Today after church, I am going trail riding with Ulla, and I just know that AhD is going to be WONDERFUL! CAN'T WAIT!

2 comments:

  1. Bless his heart; AhD sure did have an interesting week...sounds like you did too! Bravo on a beautiful garden;)
    Best wishes,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome, Susan! I sure enjoyed reading your post and see your hard work paying off. GREAT news! You both look wonderful! Keep being that great leader and he will be putty in your hands!

    ReplyDelete