Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Trusty Trail Pony


Hi Everyone!
Sage and I have been enjoying the summer weather lately and hope everyone else has been too. We had a rough year last year with my health issues and Sage's lameness problems and are happy to report that this year (knock on wood) we are both healthy and sound! Sage was diagnosed with Equine Metabolic syndrome a few months back and has lost about 200 lbs since then. We've switched from using a treeless saddle that seemed to cause Sage some discomfort whenever I got on, to a treed Thornhill endurance saddle.

Although my muscles are still sadly out of shape and my confidence is a bit pathetically low, riding in a treed saddle feels better to me as well right now, and has increased my sense of bravery. So lately Sage and I have done a couple of trail rides off the property and by ourselves.

No trainer, no other horse to keep Sage company, just us. Sage hasn't been out for a real trail ride since he was started under saddle at my trainer's house two years ago, and I haven't been out in about that same amount of time. So I'm very proud of both of us for getting out there and facing the scary pavement! (All adults know pavement hurts worse than dirt upon impact, right?)

We've been riding out along the pavement to the nearest dirt road and exploring the endless uphill climb that road represents. I think the hill walking is probably the best thing for Sage right now as we focus on building his muscles. (Mine too.) We're doing about a mile round trip, nothing too challenging but a big step for us nonetheless.

I'm very proud of Sage for facing huge rattly dump trucks, chainsaws, flags, bridges over streams, and running children without batting an eye. As for scary bikers and U-Haul trucks...we'll work on it. :-) In all fairness the biker was doing Mach 1 as he flew down the hill (and he startled me too Sage).

I am so impressed with my level-headed pony and he takes such good care of me out on the trails. He really loves going someplace new and seeing different things. I can't wait to take him out again, and I am hoping we will sort out our saddle situation soon too as I suspect my mother wants her saddle back sometime soon.

Hope you're all having a great summer!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Brie! That is SO awesome! Loved reading your post and seeing your photos of you both. You look GREAT! Congrats on conquering your fear and getting back in the saddle and exploring with your best equine buddy. Keep it up girl! So fantastic to see you back in the saddle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just fantastic news! You and Sage look great, and Sage must have been a tank if he's lost 200 lbs. I'm so glad your confidence levels are high enough to take Sage off the property for a mile loop that includes road nonetheless! Quite an accomplishment after so much time off. You go, Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! And yes Susan, at close to 1100 lbs he WAS a tank!! It's a very good thing he's lost the weight and doesn't have a 'beer belly' anymore. Certainly his soundness has improved.

    And it is great to be back in the saddle again!

    ReplyDelete