Saturday, June 27, 2009

A Dream Come True

I got to ride trails with my youngest boy Ian today! AhD's new GELDING companion, Mister Man, is not only a great boss-horse company for AhD, but also a been-there, done-that range QH who tolerates beginners quite well. We saddled up and headed out from the barn and went around the easy part of Jason's Loop. When Mr. Man decided he wasn't going to go forward anymore, guess who was the Big Guy who stepped up to the plate? Yep, that's right, my sometimes bratty pony led the way a couple of times while Mr. Man ponied along behind or beside us. AhD was GREAT! Not one single spook, either, and he didn't mind if he was lead horse or following. He and Mister also didn't mind rubbing horse flies off on each other.
After Jason's Loop, we headed across the road to a nice, wide grassy trail. We walked down the big, long curvy hill and trotted a bit on the flat. It was really fun com
ing home, too, because we trotted some more and even cantered! (I think Ian has a bit of the wild side in him) I was the same way when I was twelve...when I tried out my first horse at the same age you can bet I wasn't just a-walking her. :)
I think Mister and AhD bring out the best in each other.




After we untacked, we let our horses graze on some of that lush lawn clover to cool off.
It has been raining a lot here in Maine, but I have used the evenings to good advantage, doing ground work with AhD in the barn aisle. He is an A student now with the backing, give to pressure, and give your feet exercises. I am hoping to sneak in an even longer solo ride on my handsome Curly steed this evening, and I bet he's going to give me another awesome ride!
Harold, where are those pictures of the Badlands that you promised us? Inquiring minds want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment