Thursday, March 3, 2011

Freedom going solo

Yesterday the farrier came. Although he is a barefoot trimmer and not a traditional farrier. We had one before but he is too far and could not make it anymore so this guy was new to all of us. I had 12 horses who needed their feed trimmed, but we did 7 since there were 3 draft horses. Very big feet.
Moose had his first trimming and he did very well. He was very impressed by the curly's. How their attitude was and he loved their feet! Specially Lydiker our 2 year old colt. His feet where almost perfect he said and he loved his laid back character. next week he will be back for Mallie and Kayla and some of the other horses.

Today I went out with Freedom and ponyed Mallie. That did not worked out very well, so I went back and put Mallie back in the field. She is to frisky and fast I need to work with her more before taking her on the trail.

So I went on with Freedom by himself. Last time he thought that was a bad idea. But now he was doing much better. He had to stop every now and then and think about it and I let him. But as soon as I asked him to go on he did. We even trotted for a while. I was very proud of him he was going solo again.


Marion, Kentucky
Hidden Cave Ranch

2 comments:

  1. That tactic of waiting and letting them decide things are ok seems to work very well with Linus. I especially let him do that when I am driving him because I am not up front to give him the extra vote of confidence. Sounds like you are making wonderful progress

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Marion, you are making so much progress with Freedom the last couple of days! You are doing great with him! It is great that he was comfortable going out alone again!

    ReplyDelete