Tuesday, March 15, 2011

OOH look - I made a video!!!!

What a BEAUTIFUL afternoon we had here today in eastern Ontario (look at me remembering to put in my location 2 posts in a row!!!) I was out with my mother, nephew and son so ended up doing chores a bit late. I thought it had wrecked all chances of working with Linus today but with no cows currently in to calve the workload has decreased by a lot! Combine that with the recent time change and time to kill while the water tanks filled and it equaled quality time with my 'big boy'. I didn't upload my pics in the right order but they are here and that's what counts.
My buggy hasn't left the farm yet but I promised the buyer I wouldn't be touching it since he had already given me a deposit. So, I decided to keep up his saddle work. Let me stress that no I am not yet riding Linus, I am just trying to introduce him to whatever I can because...well, it gives me things to do with him!! And so far, it has worked out very well for me. He doesn't get overworked but looks forward to whatever it is we do. He nickers when he sees me coming and the more gear I am lugging the more excited he gets! I love his budding work ethic!
As usual, grooming first. Then I went to throw the blanket on him and he sidestepped a bit. Normally he doesn't but it has been a few weeks so I took it off of him and shook it as I walked all around him. He just stood there, so I kept going and then threw it on and off of him all over his body. Which is where the funny video at the bottom came from.
Next came the saddle. He is so funny with it. He has seen it loads of times but every time he has to try and play with it a bit first and try to eat it too! It's the most comfy saddle...but VERY old...my Dad learned to ride in it! I would love to have it redone and made usable again but I think it might be beyond hope.
I put it on and did the first of three tightenings. He tried to help by pulling on the loose straps. He likes to chew on whatever he can get in his mouth. Which also explains why my good reins are not attached to the bridle he is wearing! A dear friend gave me those white cotton ones because they were too short and thought they might come in useful for exactly this. Linus gave up his saddle inspection and tried instead to get at the other things I had left too close to his side of the fence. I've noticed recently if I cluck to him and say his name he will walk over to me. He gave up trying to steal my stuff and came over so I could bridle him (bitless).
Then we practiced from the ground the cues for turning on both sides as well as back up. He was so good! I started to push my elbow into him about where my heel would be when I am asking for the turns and he is quickly figuring out what it means. The Nurtural Bitless website has claims that you can teach a horse to neck rein with the bitless. We have been practicing it but I think with all of his driving training so far it might take him more time to get it. He did really well today going to the left with neck rein pressure but not as well to the right. He gets it though. Practice, practice, practice.
Lots of praise and hugs and rubs today. He made me very happy with doing every thing I asked and so willingly too. It's so nice to walk away from something feeling so happy!! As I mentioned before, Linus is the first horse I have had from a weanling and also the first horse I have done any training with. I find it so cool and so rewarding that he is learning the things I teach him!! It really gives you a sense of accomplishment. I love it so much!


Finally a picture of him standing still and not trying to get into trouble or find mischief!

Above: checking out the reins and brush I left too close!

Below: I adjusted his left side so he thinks he will do the right!


Such a personality picture!! Maybe I should have submitted it for Curly Antics album???

Very bothered by the blanket......wakey, wakey Linus!

PEEKABOO.....

AHA, there was a horse under there!

This is just a funny video of Linus trying to get the blanket off of his head. I really love how calm he is. He is turning into such a go anywhere, do anything type of horse.

6 comments:

  1. Love the pictures but the video is the best!!! He's just so calm about the whole thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna! Why do you scare your horse so, you masochist!!!!!!! OMG, loved the video! Linus must love to see you coming. You give him something to do. He must think you are the best partner, ever. You are so suited to be a smart Curly owner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donny I love your video of Linus, I was really lauching while I was watching it. He looks so funny and cute! He just thinks the blanket is a fun toy!
    I agree with you on how rewarding it is to teach your horse things. Voelie is also my first really young (from foal) horse and I am allready proud of what she knows now. She is not nearly as cool about new stuff as Linus seems to be in your posts but maybe next year:) She still has time to learn and I still have time to do new things with her:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last sentance you sum it all up in that, it just goes to show how wonderful a horse can be when you spend the time with them. But of course the curly breed has something to do with that as well :) Keep up the good work! That video was very cute, hope we get to see more :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments!! Jessica, Voelie is doing great. I thought Linus did a lot last year but I can see this year he is able to handle even more things that he was not as sure about last year. It will come. You're doing fantastic with her. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna,

    What a goof Linus is, not to mention fun! I love it! I think your idea of teaching him to neck rein makes logical sense to me, but I have no experience, so I'll wait to see how it works with you! Good job!

    ReplyDelete