Sunday, March 20, 2011

Jumping Lessons

Hello everyone,

As you all already know my mum (Shelly) and I have been taking riding lessons from our next door neighbour riding instructor over the past few weeks.

I didn't blog last week about it because I was quite disappointed with my performance during the lesson. I felt discouraged, that I was a bad rider and that Bijou was just not listening to me at all and being difficult. As the lesson progressed I was getting more and more frustrated that things were not working and really felt like calling it quits. I finished the lesson but I did not leave happy.

HOWEVER, this week was SO much better. I have found that when I get frustrated with a horse, it is always my fault. I know that people say that more often than not it is the riders fault when something is going wrong but it has always always always been my fault. I know that I'm not a terrible rider but I'm sure as some of you know it is easier to say that it is something the horse is doing wrong, rather than yourself. Sometimes it is hard to realize how much I am affecting my horse, and how much I really don't know yet and need to learn. I suppose last week I was very stressed and tense and went into the lesson with a negative attitude. This week I told myself that I had to relax and try to fix the problems Bijou and I had. Although the beginning of the lesson was a little shaky, most of it was fabulous. I really had to relax and be very soft and quiet with my body and Bijou mirrored me. Her gaits got rhythmic and relaxed, especially the canter. We are still having trouble getting our correct canter leads, which frustrates me, but I know with practice we will get it.

I now have to say something about Bijou. I am so proud of this horse. She does anything I ask her to do without a fuss, and does it well. I now feel so bad about being hard on her last week for not doing things exactly right. She was just telling me that she wasn't going to put up with my bad riding, to get over myself, relax and get the job done. This week I was able to do that and we were both so much happier. I am always amazed that horses don't hold a grudge over us for what we put them through. Sorry Bijou, I love you!!! <3>



Anyways, here is a couple of pictures from this week! I think Bijou looks very soft and happy in all of them. I added the one of me "looking" at the upcoming jump just for fun! (Oh, and please don't mind the "band ad" tape as I like to call it...apparently that was all mum could find for our wraps LOL)





Anastasia
Summerland, British Columbia
Canada

7 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about sometimes becoming so frustrated with what I am trying to work on with whomever I am riding and the madder I get the worse the horse is. At that point I remind myself to stop and breath because I do not want to just end what we are doing on a bad note. The breathing really helps center myself and remind myself there are steps and we are not going to do something perfect the first time.

    By the way-I have been meaning to tell you how much I like Bijou and she looks great in the jumping pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really hit the jackpot there Anastasia. A long time ago I used to lose my cool, especially if I was tired. This used to happen when training the show cows. Afterwards I would feel really discouraged and like we had accomplished nothing. Through a lot of work and patience it rarely happens now...which recently resulted in me being called submissive!! great job with Bijou, sounds like you guys are really going to start flying with the jumping. You make a great team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it up - you guys are doing great. I know that I have had many a jumping lesson where I wanted to give it all up - I just didn't blog about those times, like you. :) When I start to get really frustrated, I tell myself, I am doing this for FUN and to relax about it, and then take a minute and look back at how far we have come.

    Keep up the good job - Curlies are awesome jumpers and we are going to take the Jumping world by storm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am partial to that mare Bijou ... you are doing fine - don't be so hard on yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I echo Betsy's sentiments - don't be too hard on yourself. You and Bijou are a team, and she is not perfect, either. You two look great together, and every day cannot be a "10." You ARE a very, very good rider and you have great empathy for your horse. Bijou is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Anastasia's "Mom" I have to say something. Anastasia has become quite a nice rider and horse trainer and she has done almost all of it herself...
    Due to her extreme horse allergies, she cannot take lessons, nor audit or even just hang out in regular horse venues, like so many of us have done to "soak up" horse language and learn from others who are further along in their riding.

    You will note that "I" went to the Ian Tipton clinic, but Anastasia cannot go to another farm and spend that kind of time there. Even after one hour at our neighbour's indoor arena taking our jumping lessons, she has trouble breathing properly and has to take ventalin and also come home and have a shower to get the horse allergens off her.

    So, my hat is off to my beautiful, courageous daughter who against these odds is doing something we both love to do so much and she is doing it WELL IMO.
    Mom, in Summerland, BC Canada

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for your encouraging comments! I really appreciate the feedback and that you all believe in me :)

    A special thank you to mum. All that coming from you means the world to me.

    ReplyDelete