Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I've missed everyone!

Well I too have been MIA for awhile. I've been hit with every sickness in the area plus busy at work. I did get to ride abit this weekend though.

Saturday I rode Theo and did some jumping. We are getting better and better at that. He is a solid 2ft I would say. We really need to work on the canter though and I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Everytime I ask for it going counter clockwise he runs into the middle of the arena and won't canter. clockwise is fine and he is okay on the lunge line to so I know it's me. Natalie rode him Sunday and did some jumping as well but it was a nice short ride for him.

Yesterday though he had a work out. I lunged him with side reins and really made him canter more then I do under saddle. He was pretty good but definately being lazy. So then we did some free jumping since nobody was in the arena. He got to the 3 ft mark! It was so good for him to find his rythm and he picked up the canter before the jumps. Tomorrow it's back to flat work though and trying to get that canter down.


Abby was her normal perfect self. I didn't ride her for a week and it was like she never stopped doing it. She is started to Foxtrot more when I am asking her for a flat foot walk so I need to work on consistancy but she has everything else down.


I took some more photos of Theo in the snow on Sat. No riding ones sorry I never have anybody to take them for me.
















5 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better and got to ride again!
    Sounds like he maybe has a favourite side to canter, or is he also different in trot going counter clockwise? What happens if you start cantering clockwise and then change direction?
    I like your pictures of Theo! He looks super!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried to switch directions at the canter yet. Our arena is fairly small and he is quite unbalanced still. I might have to try that though. I really feel like it's my issue or the saddle since he is fine on the lunge line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there another horse available you could try the same thing on that might help you figure out what you might or might not be doing?
    I agree, Theo looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you got some great pictures! Theo is incredible!!
    I like Donna's idea. And, I bet someone who gives riding lessons could spot right away what is going on with you and Theo. Is there someone available at your barn to watch you two and help you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I desperately need a lesson and will hopefully be getting one soon. Our barn requires instructors to have insurance so it's been hard to find a good dressage instructor for me. Maybe I'll get a video and some of you excellent riders can point out my issues (I'm sure there are many).
    I do ride other horses and have never had this hard of time although I struggle personally counter-clockwise because my left leg is weak due to a tilted hip. This is probably the cause but I need to figure out how we can work through it.

    Thanks for all the comments on the Theo he is quite the handsome man. The first photo I am entering in a contest at the Midwest horse fair in April.

    ReplyDelete