Friday, December 16, 2011

Driving at home

Well, as most of us know....driving or riding under the guidance of a skilled instructor or trainer is not the same as DIY.....doing it ourselves ;-) so, I can happily report that Legacy and I have had success in our driving all alone. Hitching was the first thing to overcome, hitching alone is a bit of a job, esp for a green driving horse and a green whip (person driving) .....the first day was a bit of a calamity, and I finally had to have Mike help me hitch, he simply stood in front of Legacy as I hitched her up. This was her "routine" at the training barn. A person to "head" while she was hitched by one or sometimes two other people. After hitching, I drove a bit...just to get the feel of things alone.

Day two went much better, I faced Legacy about 4 feet away from our arena wall ( corral panel wall) and gave her the impression there was an imaginary header there...that worked! so, day two went well. Day three and four, same results...but after she is well set in this routine, I will move out to the middle of the arena to teach her the same thing, stand quiet, stand still, and do not move a foot. She is such a sweetheart and has so much "I want to please you" in her. I first warm her up in the long lines, then hitch and redo the warm up without me in the cart, then when she is settled and calm and quiet and responsive, I climb in the cart and away we go.

There is SO much "getting to know you" time needed between Legacy and I. Roy had her well trained to him, now it is my turn to get her well trained to me ;-) My goal is to work her here at home the rest of Dec and then start taking her out in the real world a couple times a week through the rest of the winter. Our arena is small for driving in, and I do not want her bored or sour from the hard work she has to do. Corners are a bit tough right now, she still has lot of muscle to build, but my oh my...what a wonderful start to my lifelong dream.

3 comments:

  1. Linda, sounds like a wonderful challange for you. But what great rewards when you are trotting down the street in full control.
    Good Luck to you
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I'm so happy for you that you are at the DIY stage, living your dream! An early Christmas present to yourself. -Susan in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing linda! Looks like your dream has finally come true!! You look fantastic and legacy is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete