Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Trotting the Back Roads

As I mentioned on my blog (last week) - I was totally ready to throw in the towel and call it winter. it was cold and miserable- I had to plug in my water heaters because of ice and snow was forecasted several times. BUT--- all the snow went south.. and we are FINALLY experiencing a little Indian Summer ! Perfect for riding- except.. the Hunters have taken the woods hostage until the end of November. A few weeks for every imaginable weapon ~ Zoe and I ride the dirt roads during hunting season- but it's still just as beautiful.. especially at this time of year.

Lately- it's been Keri and Reverie (Zoe's Day Dream). They have become good buddies. We are working up the mileage - as Rev has not been ridden in some time. Also looking to get in canters often and for more extended periods of time for Rev. Yesterday, we had a great ride- included the mile long hill- which is perfect for a horse learning her balance and abilities in cantering.


Mostly- I took photo's of the scenery. The Beech trees are at their most beautiful right now- although typically yellow and brown in the fall, I love a Beech tree when the sun is out- quite dazzling. There's nothing prettier than a grove of Beech.





When I was posting in my farm blog- and looking at the photo's I snapped during the ride- I noticed a theme.. ponds and fall colors. We passed by 2 beaver ponds and one real pond-- all of them gorgeous. As usual, I posted many photo's on the farm blog- which you can go view.






And anyone who has followed my blog posts- knows I am intrigued by stonework of any kind.
So I had to stop and get a close up of these artfully placed stones and rocks.

A very noisy Kingfisher protested our presence here - sounding like more than one bird with his constant loud mad chatter.






I have to wonder the purpose of this - who and why ? and when...







Trot home on my most favorite back road in our area- Crow Hill Road.. which used to be quite narrow with I think only one or two homes-- no electricity along the road until recently.. as more houses and camps are built. Still a beautiful road though.
Keri was feeling a bit pokey- but we had a great ride and plan to go out again today.
A new route though - don't want Rev to get complacently brave just because she already knows the way !
Enjoy your day ~

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing photos, wow. Makes me want to come and ride with you! You are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bring Reese- we'll ride along the highway together !! :)

    I do love taking my photo's - glad you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If Denise is coming from Michigan, I'll be down from Maine... :")

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladies, Chester and I would love to join ya but I'm afraid my other Curlies would be upset if we weren't back by supper time:)

    Honestly, you live in God's country - gorgeous countryside. Keep the photos coming - it's better than than the last issue of National Geographics.

    ReplyDelete