Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Gate!

This afternoon I had some free time and of course chose to spend it with Linus. We didn't get to go for a ride on the weekend because of the weather and the same for yesterday too. This afternoon wasn't bad though and we squeezed in some time in between showers. We refreshed on some ground work which Linus sailed through...I was kind of hoping he wouldn't so that we could work through something but I was happy nonetheless!
Then I put on his bareback pad and we worked on riding away from Allie who was tied in the corral. He did perfect heading to the barn but was a bit reluctant heading up the driveway. I kept asking and insisted he went as far as I had planned to which was only to a turn-around near the end of the driveway. I rewarded him and we again headed back up towards the barn. He was very good on the way back and didn't rush like I expected him too. They are getting better with being separated. I think they now understand that it is only a temporary separation.
Anyway, I got back over to our working area and I didn't feel like we had conquered that much. I'm not sure why I thought of it but I decided to give the gate a try. I've always wanted to be on a horse that would calmly allow me to open and close a gate while on his back. Well we flew through it like it was an everyday thing! It is a chain link lock on a narrow corral gate that is typical of a gated round pen. I brought him up and he easily took the last half step I wanted to get close enough. I leaned down and worked the chain off and pushed the gate open. I clucked to him and we walked through...he even left room for my legs so they wouldn't get pinched! Then we did a circle and backed up to the gate and I locked it! I was so thrilled I leaned forward and gave him a big hug!! Then he tried to push it back open again...just to add his personal touch to the task I guess.
I was very proud of Linus and I'm really looking forward to the winter weather so we can go exploring in the bush again!

2 comments:

  1. Linus is such a doll. You have a winner! He is perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I need to do this exercise to, it is so great to have a horse that really works with you!

    ReplyDelete