Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Change of ride plans-- and our river crossing

Monday morning, as we were catching up our horses- Zoe suggested instead of the trot over the mountain into Grafton.. heading back over to the floodplains and dam area to do the water crossing would be more fun--- YES... I agree :)
I took so many pictures as the day was perfect and the views so beautiful.. you can see more of the ride on my farm blog .. but I'll post photo's of the highlights here. We had so much fun !




We trotted down the dirt roads into North Springfield and crossed over into the reservoir/dam area to start our trail ride.

Back there is where we came from.







The trail follows the river to our left.








And way up there just beyond that little river island is where we'll cross... if we can remember where the small path down the bank is-- it's been at least 10 years since we traveled this way.. back when we did competitive trail along here.




We have had soooo much rainfall all month, we were not sure what we would find for a water level.... doesn't seem too bad here.








We have to walk upstream a little bit to actually cross over to the other side.









Over there is where we want to be now.









I can't take any more photo's now as my horse is beginning to swim and the current here is quite strong.... neat feeling as Keri paddles against the river swiftness.





You can see the water line on Teasel's saddle pad..






This was so much fun, we spent some time swimming back and forth in the deep dark part of the river.




Our boots are full of water-- time to trot home. We pass the old Power Dam and get back on the trail on the other side of the river to trot home.





Such a great ride out we really are sad to head home, but on the trot back-- we were planning our next destination.
Enjoy your day ~

4 comments:

  1. Betsy and Zoe, it gives me a feeling of peace and contentment to view your beautiful scenery during my coffee break. WOW!!! Love the river crossing! Now I feel a bit of a woose for not letting AhD swim in Range Pond Sunday. I'm sure he'd be game. I'm sooo glad you took so many pictures; please make it a habit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many of my photo's I take while trotting.. I am pretty pleased with my camera :) You would have had fun with us in the river.. so do try the pond next time you are there !! I had to hang my pad and saddle on the tractor to dry in the sun and breeze when I got home (far away from a big yellow lab's mouth.) Good thing the saddle is all synthetic material I guess.

    Glad you are enjoying the pics- and taking them is a habit I'm not likely to stop :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply breathtaking country! It really felt like I was along for the ride and an historical tour--short of getting water in my boots. Checked out your farm blog...and you can never take too many photos, so glad to here you're not likely to stop! Sure hope I can join you some day... Thanks for a very relaxing (and certainly "peaceful" as Susan wrote) break to my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow guys! That's some deep water. Looks like fun though, very inspiring...

    Brie

    ReplyDelete