Thursday, July 2, 2009

Dedicated to my Dad


My Dad, Roy Ross, passed from this world on May 31, 2009. I have to dedicate this post to him because he purchased my first curly, Custer, for me as my Christmas gift (from Stag Creek Farm) in December 2005. It took lots of convincing for a Quarter Horse man to grow to love a Curly horse. He'd never heard of one before. But from the time my husband brought Custer home to East Texas, my Dad was smitten. He fed Custer ice cubes on hot East Texas days, got him used to being saddled before he was even broken, held him while I climbed aboard for my first ride and allowed him to playfully steal his cap from his head (still a favorite trick of Custer's). My Dad cultivated a love of horses down to me, his only daughter. He was my first love and will always remain a cowboy in my heart and memories. Till we meet again Daddy.

Dedicated to the memory of Roy Jackson Ross, 1945-2009

5 comments:

  1. Lynda... I am very touched by your dedication to your father...he was a young man. I feel your grief. I lost my father the beginning of May and although he was no horseman, he shaped the person I am today. And while he recuperated at the ranch he developed a true passion for my curlies. I hope that all is well with you and your family. Here's to your finding comfort in the gifts he gave to you-both tangible and life shaping. Sounds like he is quite a Dad, who will be greatly missed but forever remembered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lesly for your kind words. He was young and is missed tremendously. The grief is almost too much bear at times, but I take comfort in knowing that he would want us to go on and live life to the fullest. He was quite the horseman in his younger days and rode before he suffered a stroke 2 years ago. He recovered well from that, but died unexpectedly in May. He could never ride again after his stroke - so he "coached" from the sidelines to me and my children, which was great. The photo was just taken in March and the last of me and him together. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynda,

    Warm hugs are headed your way, dear friend. What a wonderful Dad and Grandpapa...my mind immediately went to the Reba song..."cowgirl don't cry...ride baby ride"...it was meant for you, dear lady.

    Know you are in my thoughts and prayers,

    Hugs,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post about your Dad brought tears to my eyes. My 2008 RAC riding was dedicated to my Dad, who died on my birthday in January 2008. Dad bought me my first horse, and I inherited his love of animals. My prayers are with you. The picture of you and your dad is awesome and the love you have for each other shows in your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your comforting words - it means a lot. My Daddy was a remarkable man and I think that he'll live on through me and my kiddos. Cowgirls don't cry...but this cowgirl has cried many tears.

    Curly love to all of you -

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete