Monday, July 13, 2009

The Four Bays

Went on an awesome trail ride on Sunday over in Poland (Maine). The four of us (well, nine if you count the horses and the dog) mostly wound through the woods on tight trails, which is just about my absolute favorite kind of riding. All four bays were gems, including and especially my very handsome stinky AhD D Das. The woman who took this picture oohed and aaahed over AhD's curly coat and dreadlocks. Since I had tucked away one of his dreads in my carrot/camera bag, I gifted it to her. :)
Look at this Indian Piper I saw in the woods. They were all over the place, but this is the very first time I have noticed them. All three of my horseback riding pals recognized them right away. Is this cool, or what? Reminds me of a colorless ladyslipper, but I guess it is from the mushroom family.


What an incredible view out over Range Pond. AhD enjoyed stopping here for a relaxing break. I thought he wouldn't mind the water - he drank out of just about every stream we crossed in the woods - and yep, I was right. He and Daisy splashed about but then AhD started to lie down! eeek! but he stopped as quick as I pulled up on the reins. I wasn't dressed for a swim.

The day was spectacular. The water reflected the clouds in the sky and the temperatures were in the low 70's with a cool refreshing breeze. What a blessing.


We rode on the edge of this field near the beginning and the end of the ride. On the way back, two of us cantered our horses ahead, and then the other two galloped theirs. Our canter was nice and AhD was a perfect gentleman. I was happily tired and extremely contented and satisfied by the time we arrived back at Ulla's barn.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome photo...and did you say 70 degrees - what's that? We've in triple degrees in Texas. AhD is a great fella and represents Curly Horses with great flair.
    Keep sending photos - you've countryside is beautiful.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure you are dressed for taking a dip with your boy next time (and bring the water camera!:~) Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pics Susan...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete