Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Acadia

The Rockefeller Carriage Roads of Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island, Maine are so beautiful that I could have taken a photo just about every five feet. Rockefeller crafted architectural beauty out of God’s creation, hiring 300 men from 1913- 1940 to create over 45 miles of roads and bridges through the 11,000 acres of land he gifted to the park.
AhD and I spent five spectacular days camping out with two of my friends and three of his. Ah-D-Da’s was a wonderful ambassador for the Curly breed. I did my share by wearing my RAC and Dream on Curls t-shirts whenever it was warm enough, and I posted a sign on AhD’s stall explaining the breed.
We picked a different direction to head in each day, and we had spectacular weather to ride in. We meandered, trotted and cantered down packed gravel roads, across arched stone bridges, along grassy trails and across a field or two. When not riding, we cooked our meals on a Coleman stove, toasted marshmallows around a campwide firepit, and slept in tents and stock trailers. I thought I was going to freeze to death Friday night and awoke to the sight of my breath when I peaked out of my sleeping bag.
I can’t even begin to tell you all how rejuvenating this trip was to my soul. My bond with AhD grew even deeper on this trip. Here he is nuzzling my helmet while we relax and I enjoy the view across Little Long Lake and down to the ocean.
I hope you fellow RACers enjoyed photos of a few of the highlights, and I look forward to hearing more of YOUR stories and adventures! (hint, hint)

1 comment:

  1. Wowza! What a trip, Susan! Thank you, thank you for always taking time to share your awesome stories with us!! I feel like we have traveled this great journey with you and AHD these past few years, watching you both bond and become such an incredible team and ambassador for the curly breed. Kudos to you for never giving up and for inspiring all of us! May I please use this story for my storybook page? The pics are fabulous!!!! I love the one of you in the water and also of him nuzzling you.
    Please KEEP writing!!!

    ReplyDelete