Monday, September 7, 2009

Somewhat recovered from our super Open House and Rider Appreciation Day.. but following on its heels is our BIG fundraiser- a Motorcycle Benefit Ride with music after and BBQ. Thank goodness I have riding time to CHILL and de-stress. :) It's been more difficult lately it seems to fit that in- but we have squeezed in some great trot outs.

Zoe has one more show at the end of this month, so when she schools Elektra in the ring, I follow around on Keri. We canter the 20 meter circles 'polishing' our bend and suppleness... if Keri was editing this post she would be putting her two cents in here (and her words would not include anything about supple ) . Anyway- it's fun and after work is play time :)

Since Elektra's most evident problem was laziness, we decided to put shoes on her and encourage some big trots, canters and occasional gallops - and Elektra has definitely learned she can remain a very quiet horse and still move out powerfully. She's incredible to watch, as she propels off with her hind and reaches out - wow.. I can only imagine what a racehorse is like up close. Keri puts up a great effort to keep up and sometimes she almost can .. but she does not have the stride or the youthful endurance.





With Keri and Elektra we stick to road or fairly easy going trail, Like this one, since I am always worried about her coming up lame for a show I have already paid for ! Although we have not gotten a chance to do much in the way of exploratory expeditions-- we have had some super rides.




A little ways in on this trail- it gets grown in some.. When we first started riding this trail - maybe 25 years ago.. this area was completely open.. having been a log landing with the logging trails coming off it in different directions- like a rotary.






A short trot in - and off to the left is a beautiful pond. Last year we saw a busy beaver here.. not a trace of beavers this year. Looks like the owners have had some excavation work done though- perhaps that scared away the beavers.




The other day, we set out for a nice long trip- the loop that includes the 'mile long hill'.. we started out with 'Men Working'. The town crew is out cleaning the ditches on the dirt roads preparing for the rains of fall.






This beaver pond on the right is nearly covered with small lily pads.


We ride one of my favorite back roads-






Spot a little nest in a branch on the side of the road-











When we return to the farm, we duck in the gate and refresh ourselves with a little splash in the brook.







We had another outstanding ride on Saturday- I decided to leave my camera at home.. and too bad because there were a couple of times I wish I had it with me. We rode out on a loop we don't normally ride.. but wanted something fresh to see. On the way out, we stopped for a chat with my horsey neighbor.. and her turkeys ran over, curious as ever- to peck at the dirt beneath our horses' legs. There were about 30 young turkeys... but our horses stood quietly while we talked.


On the trot home-- we decided to veer into a trail we have not been on in at least 4 years... improvements have been made and we will have to get back over there for more exploring; A few new offshoots we'd like to investigate. We did end up taking a wrong turn- or missing a turn.. and we exited the trail NOT where we thought we'd be. Not a problem... except- on the trail, I looked down and saw a wonderful long logging chain !! No way I was leaving that behind. So Zoe dismounted, and helped me drape it across the front part of my saddle. Lots of bulk and weight for trotting home .. and we still had the highway ahead as well. Finally, once we got out onto the road- I decided to leave the chain concealed on the side of the road in some milkweed... planning to return with the car when we arrived home. Much more comfy trotting and cantering after I dumped my find ! Cantering up the side of the highway- Elektra had her first experience being between the guard rails and on-coming traffic. She was fine ~

The other day, I had a call from a woman looking to replace her elderly trail horse. She had never heard of Curlies... I mentioned we had Elektra for sale- she could show and do trail. The woman was firmly set in the notion that a 4 year old was far too young and silly. When I think of Elektra, I forget her age- as she is so dependably steady and has done so much in her short life... shows (with golf carts, other horses, bicycles, and all manner of things) and trail, road, obstacles and a successful 'downtown' trip and highway without a blink of an eye. She's awesome ! :) Needless to say, the woman decided 4 was too young and wanted a horse at least 7 -- she did not want her new horse to be capable of doing anything "silly"..... Heck.. my horse is 18 and she sometimes is capable of "silly". Oh well.

After I retrieved my new logging chain with delight ... Zoe and I harnessed up OYY Nimue - a 13.3 hand curly pony - and had a spectacular ride in the cart. Another fabulous horse, only 5 but so steady and dependable. We had so much fun.. we repeated the ride on Sunday- only longer time out.



Nimue loves pulling the cart- and is a trotting fool in harness. She never seems to tire and is very steady in her gait, smooth ride in the cart. Both Zoe and I remarked however- driving is a kind of 'lazy person's' sport... we both wished we had light sweatshirts as we were chilly. If we had been in the saddle posting.. we would have been hot. Driving is FUN, but it always seems a bit ODD not being in the saddle.

When we got back to the farm- Nimue did a little showing off in the yard- which Zoe video'd a bit of that.




Enjoy your day ~

2 comments:

  1. Dear Friends,

    It sounds like a lovely time. I wished I could have seen the Curlies faces when those curious Turkeys came running out to see them......sounds like a new idea for our desensitizing course next Spring.

    You must be in one of the most beautiful parts of the world...the ponds, and foliage is gorgeous.

    Best wishes,

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie's right, beautiful pictures, as always. I tried a 20 m circle the other day on AhD. He said to me, "Huh? You want me to CANTER in a circle? You've got to be kidding me, Girl." Keri probably thinks the same thing. Eh, these things take time.
    That video of Nimue is lovely. NICE TURNS!

    ReplyDelete