Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Beautiful late summer ride








I had an incredible ride on AhD over the Labor Day weekend. A crisp late summer day, AhD was wonderful and full of personality as usual, the company was superb...just about as close to perfection as possible. We rode in Poland for three hours and were on trails for all but, oh, ten minutes or so. The scenery in the Maine woods was splendid, but not enough light for me to take good pictures. Plenty of light for viewing old stone walls, dirt and grass trails, winding trails around tall trees, etc. Jumped three trees on one trail! Our first time together jumping! I loved it! Small hops great for beginners. Two hours out, we decided to head for Upper Range Pond. The family who was swimming came out of the water so we could take our horses into the roped off kiddie section. AhD splashed about just like a little kid. He loved it and wanted more. The beach mom took some pictures of us, and then we gave pony rides to the kids and made their day. AhD laid down in the beach sand ~ twice. You have to sand both sides, you know! I wasn't quick enough with the camera because I was too worried about him rolling over and breaking my saddle. He tried, but I lifted up on the reins and held them tight. Whew! Could this horse have any more personality? And, I must say, AhD was WONDERFUL on the trails. I couldn't ask for a better behaved mount. (yes, fellow Curly lovers, I am taking about AhD)
We headed to the next photo op spot, Estes Bog. Here is Mr. Personality, being a good boy. The photo at the beginning of this post is also from Estes Bog, which looked like a lake to me, until, believe me, I learned it wasn't. We took one step into the water, and AhD went up halfway to his knee in muck. One step.
The humans must have taken too long standing here enjoying the late day sun, because then....Here is Mr. Personality being a Bad Boy. He put my foot right in his mouth ~ twice. I guess he does things twice when he wants to make a point. I must admit, the beach rolling and the boot "biting" both made me laugh out loud and added to the fun day.
We left the bog and crossed a small dam. Kind of hairy, I thought, if AhD didn't stay on the 10' wide strip it was about 10' down to the ground on either side...but we crossed it with no problems. Got in a nice gallop on the way back to Ulla's house, too, because we were running out of daylight. This was a ride to hold in my memory banks for a long, long time.

1 comment: