Monday, November 1, 2010

Autumn riding with Sage and another Curly Mule update



curly draft mule molly in the field in Vermont



Autumn is here! And, I have to say, it's my favorite time of year. Trail riding with no bug bites! What could be better? And gorgeous fall foliage all around as we trot down the road...I have certainly been enjoying the fall, in between nor'easters and other assorted Vermont weather of course.




curly molly draft mule grazing in Vermont



Josie (our curly draft mule) is getting properly curly again! She came to use last March covered in curls but this time her coat is so shiny! It is wonderful to see her so healthy and happy out in the field.



Curly mule in Vermont curls on her rear



Just had to share some pictures of her curls up close and personal. These are the waves on her butt. I figured everyone else would be curious to see mule curls. :)



curly molly draft mule curls in her ears located in Vermont



And here's the best picture I have of the what I'm guessing are the biggest Curly ears on the continent. Any takers??



curly molly draft mule located in Vermont curls on her forehead



Curls on Jo's forehead. I am still having a lot of fun working with Josie, but wish I had more time for her. We played around with putting her blanket on last weekend and she did well until we got to the second surcingle. Then she had one hoof cocked and ready to go if I pushed her too much. So I didn't try to do up the second surcingle, just rubbed her flanks where she was feeling nervous and quit when she relaxed a bit. We're getting there with her, and the time and patience we've given her is starting to pay off. :)



Sage (curly horse) in front of Camel's Hump mountain in Vermont



This is from my most recent trail ride with Sage--it may be the last snowless ride of the year!



curly horse gelding out on trail ride fall 2010 sage



Sage on the autumn trail...



curly horse back from trail ride end of October 2010


We got back when it was mostly dark. Darn these shorter days!!



Sage (curly horse) with autumn foliage in Vermont



Here's my wonderful trail steed in the field, hoping for hay pellets as I take his picture.

I'm not online much these days unless I'm making websites, but I did upload a bunch of pictures from our trail rides on Facebook, so feel free to friend me if you want to see more photos. Hope everyone else is having a terrific fall.

Brie

3 comments:

  1. I love those curls!!! (on both of them ;) )


    --Amber (Dolly & Diamond)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josie is just precious...we have two Painted Bethlehem jennies and I love their ears and personality. Keep up the good work. Sage is a beauty too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the news and pictures of Josie! Those ears ARE remarkable. Sage has the look of being upstaged by Josie in that last picture. :)

    ReplyDelete