Monday, November 22, 2010

Escapee

Today I received one of the dreaded phone calls that comes with being a livestock owner...."your ------ is out" In this case, blank was Linus. He was over munching grass at the neighbour's house. I headed over to the farm right away to put him back in, all the while thinking deer had run through his fence again. I was later to find out his fencer stopped working, he figured this out and managed to slip through the wires without breaking them...just stretching them immensely! So, now he is moved back into his smaller pasture which is livened by the same fencer the cows are on...and has more juice.
Anyway, the main reason why I wanted to post is because catching Linus (which thankfully only involved throwing the rope around his neck) reminded me how important it is to always have a rope of some kind in your truck! In my case today it was the reins from my bitless bridle. I also kind of wanted to encourage everyone, if they don't already know, how to turn a rope into a suitable halter for a horse should you have to catch one in a hurry. I'm sure most of you do know how but I was surprised at the amount of my friends who over the years have never learned. I learned from watching the classic movie: The Man from Snowy River...so you could combine a lesson with a great flick! Lol
Heard from my friend today that the new harness for Linus should arrive on Wednesday!! Super excited for that. And even more excited to head to Stirling, Ontario for what I'm sure will be a wonderful weekend visit at Homefire!

3 comments:

  1. Been there, done that, Donna! Glad all turned out okay. What type of bitless do you use? Please give Lynn a big squeeze from the gang at GMC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And who could ever forget that famous downhill run in that movie also! Crazy exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Susan...it's still one of my favourite movies. Actually the colouring of his horse is very close to that of Lynn's filly *Roz. She is gorgeous.
    Adria I use the Nurtural Bitless Bridle. I believe the link can be found from the CHC main page.

    ReplyDelete