Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Chester - The Man!

Hello Curly Friends,

A quick note to share our "eventing" last night in Barrel Racing. Renegait Chesterfield and I went with a good friend, Leann, to a local arena, Wade Arena in Terrell, Texas that holds Barrel Racing on Tuesday evenings. It is a popular sport with the young ladies around here. I can see why - you gotta have bun muscles of steel and it doesn't hurt to have a deep seated saddle. 


Chester was wonderful. First, we took a shower and got all handsome; in case their were pretty mares there, and there was a gorgeous Paint named Cheyenne whom he spoke very gentlemanly to.....

Then, we loaded up in our friends three horse trailer like a champ. This was Chester's third trip in his almost five years of life and my friend, Leann, was amazed at how well he did. Once we arrived I tied him to the trailer and he smiled sweetly for the camera.
 
Next, we saddled him up in her Billy Cook barrel racing saddle. Yahoo, it was a a very comfortable saddle!  I brushed and groomed him while hearing the lyrics from our own Texan band, ZZ Top, ...."coz every girl crazy 'bout a sharped dressed man".

Chester and I walked right into the Arena like we had done it a hundred times before, past the 25 head of Texas Longhorns who were called out rather loudly for their dinner. Riders and their horses took a second look and we smiled sweetly. The owner of the arena, Jerry Wade, commented "I don't think I've ever seen a Curly....and he's a stud too! Yep, he is the Man!

First, we walked around the barrels, next time we trotted around the barrels and finally we trotted and came home in a 'lope". Chester was wonderful. We hope to visit the arena every Tuesday evening and, who knows, one day Chester may be to Texas Barrel Racing what George Strait is to Country Music....The Man!
Angie and her Man, Chester

6 comments:

  1. Yea for Chester! What a good boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, not only is Chester The Man, but he is The Handsome Man! You must be oh so proud. Loved his smile while attached to the trailer. You and I will have to keep working on those buns of steel that the younger crowd take for granted. Maybe by the time my teenage son and your teenage son are capable again of speaking in a non-monosyllabic mode, we will be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the wonderful complement - But, Oh my goodness, I forgot to say thighs of steel too. Wow, I can barely walk today....

    Hey Susan, how old is your son? What's his name? Does he enjoy riding as much as you and I or has he found perfume and octuane?

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT job, Angie!! It is always a challenge bringing a stud into a situation like that..good for you, you brave soul!! Chester IS handsome - I am sure the ladies are still talking about him! Lol.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie, it is my 15 year old middle son who can barely bring himself to talk about his day. One word answers or a grunt sometimes. On the other hand, my youngest son with whom I ride NEVER SHUTS UP. We rode tonight and had a blast! But he was talking so much (football, football and more football) while saddling up that I was getting antsy. We explored a new trail and zipped around some old ones. I even galloped AhD twice! The icing on the cake was when we took off the saddles and then hopped back on bareback. It was getting dark but I still managed to get in some more trotting and cantering. I think AhD liked it. I sure did!!!! Yee-haw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan,

    That is wonderful...for all of you. Yep, it's football season and out of three sons all but one played. My eldest is small and he was the receiver (make any sense why they give the ball to the smallest guy and let the big ones come after him???) Then the middle son played defensive lineman...did I say the middle one was the muscle man in the family, still he took his punches from the other muscle men.
    The youngest one is probably the smartest one - he chose music and composes and creates screen and video game music.

    Funny, when each one is in the mood they all can really talk.

    AhD is such as wonderful horse. He is really willing and rewards you when you ask. Did you train him?

    A

    ReplyDelete