Monday, August 3, 2009

The ulimate desensitization test - Our Curlies pass with an A+




Hello all,

Saturday, around
4:00 pm I was catnapping with Dixie Girl - our sweet little adopted, two month old, Manx mix, Kitty when it started raining. We have had showers off and on this week so it didn't really concern me that the horses and other animals were still out grazing. Until, I looked out and saw the loafing barn or the lack thereof. Chester and Lakota were just standing where it use to be dazed and almost in shock but not a scratch on them. I immediately ran out and let them out of pasture so that they could find another shelter, 'cause it was still raining, thundering and worst, lightning. They just stood there. They didn't want me to touch them. I cant blame them really; as I'm sure they were thinking (why didn't mama bring me in before the storm?)

Next, I went into Blossom and Golden Red's pasture and Blossom, my baby girl, immediately followed me back to the barn. Red had other ideas. Yes, she is in season right now so she thinks with a different part of her brain. She went over to see Chester . Well, he came back to life. So did Lakota! Oh poo I thought....not in the middle of the storm! So I walked back to the barn and amazingly Lakota came into the barn and went right into his stall. Chester was next and Golden Red had to smell everything before she decided it was OK to stay in the stall in the Middle of both of the guys (not where I would have chosen for her to be).

Then, I called out to Cinnamon River and Curly J to come. Galloping in the rain and
lightning bolts in the sky behind them they were a magestic sight to see. Following them were the soaked jennies and the very expressive, dripping wet, Llamas. Finally, everyone was in by 5:45 pm. Deep breathe.....

I cannot believe how calm our Curlies were under the circumstances. What wonderful horses we have at Golden Curls Ranch.Yes, I would say this was the ultimate desensitization test and our Curlies passed with an A+.

Today (Sunday), the sun is shining and it is a beautiful day. No loafing barn in pasture left, trees blown down, metal and tin blown over a 100 yards across the pasture, fence wire all tangled, gates smashed up but ....all the critters are fine.

That's what really counts. Hug your four legged loved one today,

Angie

2 comments:

  1. Glad everyone was okay! Amazing that with shelter gone they are still thinking of "other things"! Silly horses. Dian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Smokies! Glad everyone is ok and no mishaps. You must have felt like Dorothy.

    ReplyDelete