Sunday, August 8, 2010

Marshall Pond

I need to start off this post with an important announcement (to me). WE ARE BACK IN THE WOODS! The deerflies have abated a bit.
Last week AhD and I unexpectedly rediscovered a trail I had been on years ago. I thought I was just taking a big cross-country trail loop behind Hebron Academy. The trails were well-groomed and wide and seemed go on forever. When I caught a glimpse of a clearing in the trees ahead, I figured we had looped right around to Robinson Arena and were about a mile from home. When I realized it was WATER I was looking at, I was taken aback - thank goodness I had been there before and recognized the back side of Marshall Pond. I was over three miles off in my calculation of where I was, and I came to the realization yet again that someone who is as directionally challenged as I should NOT be out riding the Maine woods alone. AhD and I enjoyed the view for a while, but then I high-tailed it back home. Speaking of tails, I think my tail was between my legs, especially when we passed that pile of bear poop again on the way back and the thought crossed my mind for the second time that I sure was glad it was an OLD pile of bear poop. AhD made sure we went EXACTLY the way we had come in on the trail... whew, thank God for the common sense of horses; we made it home safe and sound and just before dark.
Yesterday, Ian said he wanted to go “somewhere new,” so off we went, headed for Marshall Pond.
This time, to save Al the Haffie's feet, I avoided the rocky county road at the start by sneaking around the back side of the Academy ball fields. Shhhhh.
The cool, quiet trails seemed to agree with our horses.
Ian had me pack some Skittles in my saddle bag for his fortification. I packed flavored water. AhD and Al were much happier with Ian’s choice of trail food and mooched for candy when we reached our destination. Here is Ian displaying his baggy of Skittles.
Since logs had been skidded out of the woods in that short time span between last Sunday and this Saturday, which ruined the view, we made our own trail down through the woods to find a better one. The lily pads were beautiful, and I saw a huge heron.
We came back very satisfied with our ride. AhD was very well behaved on the trails and in the traffic to and from the trails, and I am pleased as punch with my beloved Curly!

3 comments:

  1. Great views!! You guys are really getting in some great riding time, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy oh boy Susan, you can't get lost your horse has a built in GPS unless you broke it.
    I see you are still wearing that weird hat otherwise looking good. What does bear poop look like? looks like you had a great ride even if I wasn't there.
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point, Harold, about AhD's built in GPS - guess I will go back to my old ways of rambling around. I haven't broken AhD's GPS because it isn't mechanical.
    Bear poop looks like a GIANT pile of dog or pig poop, but I am sure you already know that. No bears in Minnesota?

    ReplyDelete