Thursday, August 19, 2010

Vermont! So Worth The Trip.

Susan Lejonhud & I heading out for a trail ride on Sunday.
A dream come true! Susan is riding Teasel and I am riding Sweet Job. =]

Hi All --- still trying to catch up since I got home. I have so much I want to write about this weekend - much I don't even know how to put into words. It was THAT wonderful.

The entire weekend was just what the doctor ordered for me...relaxing, great sleep, incredible food and awesome conversation. Not to mention a wonderful cart and trail ride to boot. The only stressful part was almost missing my connecting flight home - darn airlines! =] My luggage finally arrived a couple days later. Can't be without those designer jeans & new Top O' the Hill Tshirt, right Betsy?? LOL

Thanks to Betsy and Zoe for their amazing hospitality. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Vermont is everything I thought and more...gorgeous rolling hills, hardwoods and scenic country roads. I hope to come back and see more of New England sometime.

Laurie Lee and Susan Lejonhud picked me up at the airport and the first thing Susan did was give me a hug "from Harold." Thanks Harold!! Wish you could have been there with us! I was delighted to see that I didn't have to be bungeed on the roof of Susan's car., although poor Laurie was sure squashed in the back between coolers, baggage and bedding! =] We talked non-stop til we got to Betsy's which was about 2 1/2 hours. Funny how you feel like you have known each other for years. The internet sure has made the world smaller.

I had the pleasure of meeting so many of the Ride-A-Curly participants, which was so fun. Everyone was so happy to be there and the conversation was upbeat and so awesome. We all had a ball on the trail ride and Laurie Lee, Laurie Bryan and I all got to ride in the cart too. What a hoot.





Also a mess of photos here on facebook:

Many things impressed me, but what impressed me the most was that many of us on the trail rides were recovering from a bad fall or accident, or lack of confidence. But Betsy and Zoe had 100% confidence in their horses to take care of us...even when they hadn't been on the trail for a while. (Lesson horses/arena horses or therapy horses). Imagine saddling up 10+ curlies, to be ridden by people you don't know..some that are very timid riders....Betsy had total confidence in her horses - and I don't mean a few, I mean all of them!!

On Saturday while in the cart, Nimue and Fiona were harnessed after the riders headed out and we came up from behind the trail riders at a full blown trot to catch up with them. Those horses never were alarmed or worried. There was also quite a bit of traffic on the dirt roads and yard obstacles along the way...but even with their "unknown" riders, they handled themselves beautifully and with full trust. I think that in itself says alot about the temperament of horses Betsy is raising. I believe all were barefoot on that 8 mile ride, much of it on gravel roads. I don't know about anyone else, but that impressed the crud out of me.

I could not believe the patience of Zoe on the trail on Sunday with all of us! Betsy stayed behind and gave a mini driving clinic with Nimue to those that were interested.

It was so much fun to have watched Betsy's videos & heard her stories all this time and finally see her place and horses in person...SUCH a thrill!...From the scary neighbor's yard...city area and especially Nimue, Elektra, PICCOLO and sweet Job.

The icing on the cake was to be able to ride with Susan Lejonhud. Thanks again Susan for picking me up at the airport!!! You are a GEM!!!

4 comments:

  1. Denise, you are very welcome, and I'm so glad you posted! Those of us who stayed 'til Monday were also thrilled to be able to go to a few of Betsy's pastures and see some of her mares and babies. What beautiful herds of horses she has! I like the extreme yearling OYY HeronBee; did anyone get a photo of him? He should mature to be large pony/small horse size (like Job?) and he is for sale also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to meet you Denise and I'm glad I was able to be part of the weekend, even if I wasn't there for the whole thing. Betsy and Zoe were indeed AWESOME! :)

    And as always I loved seeing Betsy's horses. I am totally in love with Sudie Bee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brie, I bet you like Sudie Bee so much because she reminds you of your handsome Sage. :)I have always thought she was just so incredibly beautiful. And, she is such a wonderful therapy horse. It was wonderful to meet you in person for the first time, Brie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was really great meeting you too Brie. I enjoyed your updates on Josie.

    Susan when you mentioned the extreme yearling, I really had to think! I was so enamored with Piccolo. =]

    ReplyDelete