Saturday, August 7, 2010

Another Big Day for Linus

We had a pretty quiet week...judging by the blog, so did a lot of people! But today I was eager to get right back at it. Linus seemed eager to do something too. He was excited when I took him out but he soon calmed down. Owen fed him some grass and some apple chunks and then we got on with today's work. Before I continue though, I have a horse related story to share...though not about my horse. We went to a local fair last night to watch the Heavy Horse Pull. Owen was naturally more excited about the backhoe that was pulling the float back but anyway, the largest team in the heavyweight division came and stood right in front of us at one point. (there was a fence barrier) All of the kids that had been standing at the fence ran away, Owen walks up to these massive horses and points at them and turns to the crowd and says "Horsey". It was hilarious and the crowd was so impressed that he wasn't at all scared of these huge horses. I must add that Owen just turned 2!!
Dad was fast to join me today too. He came over before I even had the harness on Linus. But that turned out to be a good thing since I had pulled out the bigger buggy and it gave him a chance to go over it and think about any tweaks we would have to make to hitch Linus to it. I introduced Linus to the buggy before I had harnessed him. He sniffed and I got a pretty bad picture of him investigating it, so I deleted it and was too caught up in the task at hand to get any more. We kept the session short today because he was actually pulling a buggy this time and not the little training cart. It threw him off for a couple of minutes but once he figured things out he was perfectly fine. He really got a good glimpse of the buggy following him when we turned around but it didn't spook him. He just looked at it and kind of had an oh yeah, i'm pulling you moment.
After unhitching, Stu (my hubby, who finally got to see Linus hitched) and my Dad moved the keepers on the shafts up a bit and tomorrow if the weather cooperates we are going to hitch him again. We are keeping his hitching sessions short and sweet. Linus is doing so great with everything. I know I praise him on here all of the time but it still amazes what he can handle for a horse of his age and he just doesn't get upset about anything.
We'll see how he handles sharing me tomorrow since some heifers are going to start being halter-broke for next year's show season...made me think, wouldn't it be hilarious if I turned up at a fair with show heifers AND a horse in the trailer!! Doubtful, as much show experience as I have, none of it is with horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment