Monday, August 9, 2010

Some more firsts

We managed to beat the rain yesterday and have another driving session with Linus!! Still more tweaking was done as Stu and Dad had to shorten the shafts on the buggy, but now its all in perfect working order! I experienced another first with Linus too; when I was cleaning out his feet he fought me a bit with the first one and then as usual knew it was getting regardless so stood still and by the last hoof, he had relaxed it and had it ready for me to pick up!! Good boy Linus....great news since the farrier is coming next week and last time Linus tried to lie down while they were doing his feet! So, they let him!! And he didn't try anything again after that.
After I got him from his pasture he seemed like he was really raring to go and do something so once he was harnessed I ground drove him to the shorter end of the road and back. Despite being a wound up teenager he listened to me very well and did some really good turns..something we have needed to practice. Then it was back up to the house, he was hitched up, then, Dad decided the shafts needed cutting down, so unhitched and away they went with the buggy. Linus enjoyed some grazing time while they fixed it up. Even though they cut it down Dad said it will still be fine for him as he grows so no worries there. This buggy should last us quite a long time.
Up until yesterday we hadn't taken Linus on the road pulling anything. Yesterday Dad thought he was ready for it. He actually handles what little traffic we do get really well and it seems to bother him more if you stop him for it than if you just keep on going. He knows it is there and he is fine with it. So, he again went to the short end of the road and back pulling the buggy. He was a great boy. The road is very smooth and it was bugging him to pull. Dad stopped him and told me to get in the buggy...I was like, what?!? So, I did. Dad walked at his head with the lead rope and I sat in the buggy and did a not so great job of steering him since I was so excited to actually be in the buggy...so that was another first for me too...and Linus!! I got out at the driveway because it is a little harder to pull it on the gravel and I didn't want to overdo it for him. We brought him up to the barn, unhitched and unharnessed then I hosed him down. I put him in the barn and gave him his feed and he enjoyed some quiet time. Oh and Dad even offered to make room in a small storage shed to put the buggy inside instead of me tarping it and keeping it outside...that was great news!!!! He's really getting into this! Then it started pouring, so Linus stayed in until it was done (mostly because I didn't want to get soaked putting him out!) When I did put him out he was kind of frisky all over again! Once I took his halter off he gave a snort and took off end to end in his pasture bucking and kicking along the way.
Most of our outing was done in a light sprinkle of rain that kept coming and going, so that unfortunately once again prevented me from getting some pictures. Hopefully next time!

4 comments:

  1. Donna, I love reading your posts because your excitement is contagious. Once, after reading about all you are doing with Linus, I sorted though my harness and found one that fit AhD that is only missing one buckle pc between the crupper and the saddle. I also found that one of my driving bridles fits him PERFECTLY. I took him out ground driving, and, as usual, he hated it, but maybe it will grow on him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. are you going to the First Annual Curly Get Together at Betsy's???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, that's so cool that we somewhat inspired you to drive AhD!!!!
    I was planning on going but our anniversary is this weekend and my husband had already made plans :( I was really looking forward to going, I wanted to meet everyone that I chat with on here. And was really looking forward to the driving clinic too!! Hopefully next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe your husband thinks your anniversary is more important than a Curly gathering!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete