Tuesday, August 31, 2010

TOO HOT!!!

The last few days have been disgustingly hot and humid...41C today with the humidity and by Saturday it is only going to be 16C?!?!?!? Before this hopefully last heat wave of the year hit, Linus and I accomplished a lot. I have noticed that 3 of his legs have become very easy to handle. His front left is not his favourite to have picked up. Karalee told me they all seem to have a least favourite leg and not to worry about it...but I don't like it so I aim to keep working at it until it is no bother for him at all. We had a very wet week last week and it caused him to be a bit tender walking on the gravel..but he seems ok now.
I had more time to work with him through the week again last week. We ground drove by the new house while their well was being drilled, but I think I already mentioned that. We had some reminders about who was in charge despite who was in front (while driving) when he didn't want to walk by a new pile of dirt and coil of rope that wasn't beside the neighbours house the day before.
Saturday when I took him up the road he was not the happiest because there were some large trees being cut down up the road and it was causing a very strange echo and he couldn't quite figure out where the noise was coming from so I trotted him up the driveway to take his mind off of it and up to a sandy area where I could do some voice command schooling with him while he was harnessed. I started with Whoa and after 3 attempts he immediately showed interest in stopping before pressure was applied on the bit. Then, we worked on Stand after Whoa. He was really good with this one. And then we did Back Up. He was super quick with back up and was soon doing it without hardly any bit pressure at all. By throwing a few of these commands at him randomly it really caused him to smarten up a bit and pay more attention to me because it wasn't a predictable routine. I was beaming after him responding so quickly to these commands. He got a good hose down after that lesson. I made him think and sweat but he was an outstanding boy. He better be, he's getting big!!
Sunday, I harnessed him up again and took him up the driveway and up the road and we practiced our commands again. He was great. Then he thought for a bit that he didn't have to go where I asked him to. Not happening mister! A few turns and stops and whoas and go's later and he was back on track so we trotted up the road and up the driveway back to the barn. I gave him a break and some of his feed while we pulled the buggy out and got it ready to hitch him up. My nephew was out and hadn't yet seen Linus pull the buggy. He missed by about 2 minutes last time, so he was super excited not to miss it this time. In fact, he sat down in it before I even put Linus' bridle back on him!!
Linus pulled the buggy for the first time without me at his head and without a halter and lead on over his bridle. We have done this briefly before but not for the whole ride. He has one problem spot where the curve in the driveway straightens out and he tries to turn to go onto the lawn. We straightened this out and it gave me homework to do with him. It's been too hot but once it cools down I am going to ground drive him past this spot over and over and over until he shows no signs of wanting to go anywhere but where he is asked.
Sunday was pretty warm so once Linus was finished he got a good bath, a break in the barn to have his meal and then back out to pasture.
They started the brick laying and bringing in dump loads of fill for the new house next to his front pasture. I was doing chores and heard the door of the dump truck slam shut (its deafening if you are near it) I ran out to see if it was bugging Linus and he wasn't even lifting his head. I love that he is being exposed to all of this!!
Now to go think up some ideas for the September challenge!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wowee! You are quite the trainer with Linus! You are kind but strict. Must be all that cow experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its crazy how much alike training a horse and cow are. Young horses and cows need to have firm yet kind handling....maybe its actually all coming from having a 2 yr old!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete