Tuesday, August 17, 2010

More thanks to Betsy and Zoe!

Susan started us off, but I have to reiterate what she said. I had a fantastic time, catching up with old friends and "meeting" new friends that I have only known online, and meeting even newer friends that I have never met before!

Betsy and Zoe were wonderful, patient hostesses, and very generous in sharing their home and horses. It was a lot of fun to meet the horses that we hear and read about, and see photos of. And of course it was wonderful to hear Betsy's hysterical stories!

But the highlight of the weekend for me was the trailride. It was absolutely wonderful to get my butt back on a horse again! As some of you may remember the last time I rode I had a pretty good wreck on Lakota, and was in quite a bit of pain for a long time. Its been over a year, and it still gives me fits from time to time. That, combined with job, career and family, and I haven't had much time other than loving my girls. I've been really worried that I would have some fear issues getting back in the saddle.


Well, my worries were unfounded. I was so excited to get to ride! I was lucky enough to be assigned Betsy's beloved Keri. We had great 6 mile ride through the dirt-roads in Vermont. Her horses are really solid! There were cars, trucks, trailers and motorcycles passing us, and even one guy working on some truck with no exhaust on it, revving it up. None of the horses flinched an ear.

As we turned onto the trail headed for home, Keri wanted to go into this amazing ground-covering trot. Since I had about 4 miles on my butt that hasn't ridden in over a year, combined with the fact that I have never learned how to post, I asked her if she would please jog instead. Keri said "Well then, how about a canter?" I said "No, thank you, I'm really getting tired!" and she came back down to a brisk walk. The great part is that not once did I get anxious or concerned about the unexpected change of gait, AND I haven't cantered since I was about 15 years old! (for those that don't know me, that was a LONG time and two children ago!) I felt comfortable in that canter, not unbalanced at all, so this ride was a great confidence-builder for me!!!!

As we continued toward home, Keri was quite eager to get back to her pasture and have a good roll. My legs were getting really, really tired (Keri is also quite, ummm, stocky). I don't think I was able to feel my legs at all from the hip down at this point, so I decided to get off and walk her a little way, to get some circulation back into my legs. After figuring out how to use my own legs again, Susan asked if we could swap mounts, so I got to ride Teasel! What a sweet little man he is, and he has the absolute CUTEST little jog! Teasel and I finished the ride and enjoyed the scenery.


My daughter, Amanda (who is also in RAC) came along as well. She was so excited to get to trailride! She has only ever ridden in indoor and outdoor arena's, so this was a huge deal for her! She rode Luna for awhile, then she and Deb switched mounts and Mandy rode Reverie. What a great mare she is! She is just so willing and solid, and takes care of her rider. She is a true Gem! Mandy had a great ride, and by the time we got back, she was ready to go again! Ahhh, youth! I'm still recovering!



I, unfortunately, forgot my camera. Betsy sent me these pics earlier today, I hope she doesn't mind if I post them, as I don't have any of my own.

3 comments:

  1. Michelle,

    I am so glad you and Mandy had a great time on the ride. It was great to finally meet you in person and to be able to enjoy the Vermont scenery on horseback together.

    On a side note Reverie-the horse Mandy rode is for sale, her registered name is Zoe's Daydream and can be found on Denise's site. She is a true gem and will make someone a lovely trail or show mount.

    Again it was great to meet you and hopefully we will be doing something like this again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoe, if I wasn't so horse-poor, I would have Rev home with us next weekend! Teasel too, what a cute little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I am SO GLAD you posted, because you brought up so many points that I missed! Like how Betsy's horses were steady as ROCKS on the road! It was unbelievable. Did anyone even have one single spook?? I don't think so. And we passed some VERY horse-scary stuff. Also, I could tell you were totally at ease. You fellow RACers, you should have seen Michelle canter!!! She was completely relaxed, and obviously is a very good rider. I also would like to mention that I met Brie for the first time in person, and also give a BIG THANK YOU to the people who posted pictures on facebook because I used them in my RAC post. THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete