Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Got Billy out for a ride last night that turned out to be quite a lesson in bravery for me! I cannot tell you how many times I wanted to turn him around and go right home. But, my new motto is to conquer fear so I pressed on. Within 10 minutes of the ride, Billy started to test me by bracing on the bit and refusing to go the way I wanted him to - just like old times! All I could think was "what is the cause of this???" I simply wanted him to turn left and he was insisting on pulling to the right. I was so nervous that I let him get away with it twice. But, the third time I grabbed the reins, kicked him on the sides and made it very clear what I wanted him to do. And.....he went left! I felt empowered!

We did a lot of stopping and backing, turning, found a few trees to go around. He just never really connected with me on the ride. Always seemed to be in la-la land. He kept ignoring my leg cues. I would put my leg on and he would move into it. Hasn't done that in a long time. I felt like I was communicating with a defiant teenager. I trotted him for quite a ways and that seemed to settle him a little.

Then.....came the sign. I mean literally THE sign.....You all remember me telling you about "The Ancient World" - the place I want to conquer by the end of the summer? Here is the sign for it. And here is the funniest part - Billy and I are clearly NOT on the same page for conquering such a challenge, but I decide "hmmmmm, wonder what he would do if I tried the Ancient World." Crazy, I know!!!!

Sooooooo, I took him the back way to the Ancient World to try and surprise him with the idea. Great thinking, huh?? hahahaha! All was fine, we were meandering up the side rode with the Ancient ruins to the right of us. I thought, maybe he is not going to mind and took a sharp turn into the area.

Well, this is as close as we got.....
It might be hard to tell from the picture, but this a giant statue of a face! Billy's ears perked up, he came to a dead stop and let out a little snort. I thought "ok, not today" hahahaha!!!!! I did a couple circles with him there and we headed on back to the trail. Rode about another mile in through the woods and headed home on the dirt rode.

If it wasn't bad enought that I was already having issues, a guy came barrelling down the dirt rode doing about 60 and that completely put Billy over the edge! He pretty much told me he was done and was going home! And, I agreed, but realized that I had to make something good out of this and that I needed to calm down.

So, I reached in my pocket and turned on my Ipod. You will NEVER guess what song came on......MC Hammer "Can't Touch This". All I could do was laugh and groove in my saddle! I had my arms flapping, shoulders bopping. It was a great ending to a stressful ride! Billy seemed to like the Hammer too! :-)

3 comments:

  1. I love it!! Way to go in ending your ride on top! =] Now I have that song in my head!! LoL. When I get nervous, I sing "home home on the range." -- Reese LOVES it! Funny!!!

    I love the ancient ruins...maybe Reese and I can come down and do it with you sometime. I wish I knew what was with Billy to give you advice...all I can say is you have good days and bad days sometimes...maybe next time will be wonderful. You seem to have worked through things well...so let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, been there done that, and I'm so glad the ride worked out in the end with music! I also have used singing in the past when AhD is in a mood like Billy was; it DOES work! I do have advice for you, and this technique worked the best for me and AhD. DISMOUNT AND LEAD when things aren't going your way. Walk fast to get your adrenalin going to clear the fear out of your system, and talk brave. Tell Billy how ridiculous he is being to be afraid of the Ancient World. Walk right up to that face and put your hand on it. Get back on to resume your ride after both of you have calmed down. That's my two cents, at any rate! Good luck and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Denise. You know you and Reese are welcome ANY time! Reese can show Billy how it is done.

    Susan - why the h_ _ _ _ have I never thought of getting OFF and walkin him to the scary stuff???? I really want to conquer it from the saddle, but I bet it will be much easier AFTER I do your suggestion. HA!! I will try it this weekend and update you on the success. You are a smart one Susan! AhD doesn't stand a chance with you! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete