Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Just Loving these After Work Rides!

Yep, out again, armed with Bounce in my pocket, Skin So Soft on all of us, hemlock, and ear protectors against the dreaded deer flies. None of these things amounted to squat once we entered the woods, but we kept moving to stay ahead of them.
Harold seems to think I have a weird saddle and a weird hat, so I switched my riding style to Western and brought out the fancy faded-red blanket just to humor him. Did not change the weird hat, though, I need it to protect my weird brains ~ and never ride without it (hint hint).
Grace enjoyed the ponds along the way.
We stream walked a bit.
It was windy out on the power line, which gave us a break from the flies.
Weather was GORGEOUS, not sticky like it has been. The other day I rode AhD for a couple of hours, and near the end, his fly bonnet was literally dripping with sweat. I took it off and hung it on the saddle. I gave him a much needed bath when we arrived home, and of COURSE he rolled it off the second I let him in the paddock.
I'm so glad to see more people are posting to the RAC now. I am hoping to get out and ride with some friends over the holiday weekend. Is anyone going to be entering a parade with their Curly?

4 comments:

  1. Susan,
    A good friend gave me a good fly spray recipe....add Listerine(original) and Apple Cider Vinegar to your Skin So Soft. Shake it up well in a spray bottle and ...it will kill the flies instantly. It is safe to use if you have Fly Predators in your barn like I do. Also, it is cheaper than commercial sprays.

    Great photo of you AhD and you sweet canine friend....

    We are hoping to have Lakota and Curly J in our local parade this Saturday...our friend Leann and her granddaughter will be driving our cart with an adorable white mini....we will see how it goes....we have not had a lot of loud noises and walking on asphalt...so I am a bit nervous...{:>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I don't see a good picture of the good saddle but you look like you are enjoying your horse for sure, weird hat and all.
    Maybe Angie could tell us the percentages to use in her fly spray then this old Minnesotan cold kill flies.
    Nice pictures Susan very nice.
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harold,
    Equal parts of each....I use it too....Avon's Skin So Soft makes my sun dried, tough, leather skin softer and thankfully my husband doesn't mind my smelling like Apple Cider{:>
    Have a fun and great 4th,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to try Angie's recipe! I added Listerine on my store list.

    ReplyDelete