Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Glorious Afternoon


Picture above is my gorgeous boy standing still to be harnessed up. I'm so in love with this amazing animal!!!

We had perfect weather today for working. It was nice and cool, only 23C. I loved it!! Tried a new bottle of fly spray on Linus today...Kentucky Fly Shield was the brand, I got it on sale the other day; now I know why!! Apparently the flies in Kentucky are wusses compared to the ones here, lol. Also in that same sale I got Linus a leather halter for $20 and a pair of riding boots half price for me. It was a great sale!


Today Dad helped again with hitching Linus. He was such a great boy to stand still while we tweaked on the harness what we weren't happy with last time. It worked out much better today and he was an absolute angel today. Still needs a bit of work on turning but part of that is the cart as well. It's getting too small already. I knew we weren't going to get much use out of it but I really didn't expect him to grow as much as he has this summer. So I decided when we are finished with it I am going to give it to some friends of mine who lost theirs in a house/barn fire that recently took pretty much all of their belongings including her pony cart. It's not as nice as the one she lost, but it will suffice until they can replace it.


Anyway, back to my wonderful amazing horse! It's so hard to believe while he takes all this in stride that he is only 14 months old!! He doesn't chew on the bit anymore, he doesn't flinch when I put the harness on him and he has had 3 young kids around him all week too. Don't get me wrong we still have plenty of work to do but I am hugely satisfied with him thus far. I cannot say enough good things about him. My Dad is enjoying it so much he is toying with getting another draft horse....then Lynn was so kind as to mention she knew of a pair of Clydes (a personal favourite for Dad and I) that are for sale. It has been such a treat to share this all with my Dad. He told me today that I had done a really good job teaching Linus up to this point...that made me feel SOOO good since I have never trained a horse before, let alone one of this age AND to drive. The personality and temperament of Linus has made him the perfect first for me. I can't believe how well suited we are to each other and he was the first and only horse that I looked at. I so desperately want Lynn to get the curly version of him out of Lucy next year (his dam is bred to his sire once again) but on the other hand should that produce the same result I could end up with a matched pair......must not think that way though. I really want Lynn to have the chance to experience what I am with Linus.


Many of you know his registered name is 'HCH Make My Day'. I've said it before and I have to say it again that no name could ever be better for him!! Whatever you throw at him he just seems to say, go ahead and make my day you won't faze me. Needless to say, I love my boy very much and am completely loving the training/growing experience with him!!











I dropped the lead here to take this picture. After taking it I took the lead off and Linus drove extremely well without me walking beside him. Such a good boy!! I know the cart is too small but it came as a package deal with the buggy you should soon here. It's serving exactly its purpose and being a training cart!

2 comments:

  1. Yippee!!! Donna - so happy for you and for Linus' progress. He looks SO handsome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome! I use a variety of "equipment" myself, training just needs to be safe and functional. Great to see pics!
    Dian

    ReplyDelete