Thursday, October 28, 2010

Trail Walk

Last weekend here was absolutely gorgeous and I took full advantage of that to take Linus out. As you can see, he is really growing!! I think I mentioned that my farrier couldn't believe how much he had grown in the last 8 weeks. His mane is finally about to flop over too...we won't be trimming it next spring!! lol.
Linus has been a very good boy when I take him out lately. Despite the weather from preventing us from getting out as much as I would like, he has behaved exceptionally well for his age. He is maturing a lot I find. I still keep reminding myself he is only young when I do have him out and he has his moments. Last weekend, we went up the trail beside the farm again and into the open fields. He took full advantage of what was left of the green grass there!! I enjoyed our quiet time. I did have to remind him on the way back up the trail that just because he wanted to spend the entire day down there eating, we weren't going to!
This morning I got a call from my husband who had just dropped our son off with my Mom at the farm. He was calling to tell me that Linus had been loose when he got there (the farm is very far off the road, so no worries that he would go up the road) So, Stu had put him in the barn. It was the first time he had handled him in a long time. He too found him huge!! Stu did let me know that Linus was a good boy and let him go through the barn doors first after Stu had put a rope around his neck to put him in a pen. Turns out a deer had run through the fence for his pasture and Linus likely chased it back out again. They were probably playing!!
So, I spent my lunch hour today fixing fence and putting Linus back out. We shared a nice hug in the barn first though where he wrapped he head around me. It was great!!


2 comments:

  1. Wow, he *is* growing again! He is back to looking like his sire but with his dam's colour. Moon is very adament about keeping the wildlife out - I've seen him put the run on foxes and coyotes a number of times. Linus comes by that characteristic honestly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He chased Nessie, the large puppy, out of his pasture yesterday when she thought she would help him eat his supper...but he remembered to stop for the fence! Wildlife chasing isn't a bad thing if he remembers the fence!!

    ReplyDelete