Friday, October 22, 2010

Trim Day

Well today was hoof trim day for Linus. He recently had a swollen fetlock joint from playing like a big kid on the wet, slippery ground. So, I had been rubbing liniment on it for a few days and he had been a bit touchy with having his feet handled. So, when I got the email from Karalee this morning I thought "Oh great, I haven't had a chance to get him back to normal". I was working today too, but thankfully work is nearby so I went on my lunch break to do the chores and move Linus to the smaller, drier pasture. Normally if I can't be there Karalee and Bruno, the farrier, go and do Linus anyway. I just leave a halter out. I thought they would be by when I was there but they weren't. Bruno stopped at work to tell me they would be there shortly after I was done. So, I figured it would give me a few minutes to do some mind games with Linus. But, as I was headed out to his pasture they pulled in the driveway. So, here we go. I haltered him, no fuss as usual. Bruno grabbed a hoof and Linus stood like it was an every day occurrence for him. He was a really great gentleman the entire time. When he did start to fuss, I told him Whoa in the voice I use during training and he immediately stopped and stood. Its funny when he does that because he halts in whatever position his feet happen to be in. Then I tell him to "stand up" and he places his feet better. What a boy. Things have been so hectic lately it was actually a treat to just stand there holding and rubbing him in his favourite places. Hopefully this weekend is nice and I can take him out for a nice, long walk.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I am still so impressed with how you do with Linus. Can't wait to see pictures. You should be able to get serious about driving him pretty soon at the rate you are going. Our first Curly, Daffodil, was hitched at 2, I think. I put a lot of time and effort into ground driving her, just like you are doing with Linus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Susan!! At the rate he is growing, I think he will be able to easily handle more of a workload next year. Not going to push him though, but I am really looking forward to it. I love driving so much, its hard to even think about riding!

    ReplyDelete