Saturday, May 2, 2009


Went out for a quick spin on AhD this morning and am hoping for a longer ride this afternoon. The weather is gorgeous!
I snapped this photo while AhD took a pee break. Son #4 cantered AhD on this section of trail four times last weekend, so I think AhD was thinking, "Let's go!" He was also thinking, "This grass is just too lucious to resist," so I let him take a break and enjoy. The moose was eating in my neighbor's pond this morning, so we did not head that way. I found out it is a young bull moose, which makes me feel a whole lot better than if it was a female and a calf. I'll have to avoid that whole general area for awhile, though. After this snack, I took AhD winding through the woods, and then I headed him back towards the trail on a short but steep downhill. He was feeling mighty frisky, and he crow hopped the last couple of yards. Actually, it was kind of fun!

We hopped into the stream in the woods, and AhD took a good drink and played in the water. It was a wonderful moment, so I took a picture in case you want to imagine it. The water was crisp and cool (I know, because AhD likes to splash!) and clean, and the stream made a soothing sound as it ran over the rocks and logs. The birds were singing and the breeze was ruffling the trees. The delicious scent of horse wafted up at me. The black flies haven't arrived in earnest, either, and I'm not complaining!!

3 comments:

  1. Susan it sure looks like you are enjoying your horse!! I notice you have the good saddle on and the good blanket for a Sunday Ride!! I was wondering how close you can get to the moose before he spooks????
    We are still riding here but the mud gets bad in some places so we have to be careful.
    Rainee and I were haveing our morning coffee at 5:30 this morning and we looked out in the pasture and noticed the horses gathering but not excited we watched for awhile and Rainee seen three coyotes and then I went for the rifle, they were killing a colt and striping his intestines out!!!!!!!!! We lost the colt and I missed my shot boy was I mad at myself.
    Anyway enjoy your afternoon ride and be careful of the Meeses
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Harold and Rainee, you must be devastated! How old was the colt? I can't believe the coyotes would be that bold. You need one of your horses to hate canines like AhD does, and chase out the coyotes, or you need to get a mule or a some other protection animal. Too bad you missed the shot. We hear coyotes howling here all the time, but they have never attacked our animals. Glad you liked the saddle blanket; I think I am winning you over to faded red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,

    Great photos! I'm with you and Howard on staying as grandpa would say; "a fur piece" away from that moose! We hear coyotes howling around us at night but have bigger problems with wild dogs that run in packs.

    Take care when you and Ahd are out and about and kicking up your heels (and crow hopping)!

    Hugs,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete