Sunday, May 1, 2011

OETRA Mary Ben ride - Saddle Revenge



This weekend was the annual Oklahoma Equestrian Trail Riders Association's Mary Ben ride named for a pioneer in trail blazing in Oklahoma. Mary is 89 years young and rode on the trails. Oetra works very hard to keep trails in great condition and open new trails in different areas of Oklahoma. They have many work days - I vow to start working more this year!






The ride was at Bell Cow Lake - only a few miles away from our Chandler ranch. I waited until 10pm Friday for the wind to die down so that I could haul Bruce from Edmond, but gave up and drove out in my car. (Semis were blowing over on the highways - 50mph sustained winds)














I ended up riding Shaw Mead, who is the best ever, and Cody rode Cleopatra. I received payback for having Cody ride in my dressage saddle a few weeks ago. None of my saddles are wide enough for Shaw Mead and I rode in Cody's very laaaaaarge roping saddle. I'm a little sore today:) Beautiful weather, sunny, barely any wind and we had a wonderful time visiting with all sorts of folks from all over Oklahoma. It was the kind of day that you just don't want to end.





After our ride, we had a wonderful dinner at the pavilion, then enjoyed a great band and dance in the starlight and cool evening.




Woke up to pouring rain and reality.... laundry, shopping - yuck




Very thankful to have these breaks in my life to enjoy with great people and horses!


Hugs to all,


Adena


Landrun Curlies







3 comments:

  1. Adena, this sounds like a wonderful ride! I am hoping to go on some organized trail rides this summer. Those really nice trails are sooo worth working for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adena!! Awsome Post!!! We have been having crazy weather here too!! So glad you had a great trail day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wauw Adena, that sounds like so much fun I hope to enjoy a ride like that someday. Also the band and the dance afterwards, sounds so American....hope to enjoy that somewhere someday. Have to admit the trail rides her ends often in a lot of drinken and drunk people which I don't like, but I do like to dance :-)

    ps that BIIG roping saddle looks great ;-)

    ReplyDelete