Monday, May 16, 2011

Training Weekend - getting over our fears.....

So this last weekend Traveler and I headed over to DeepCreek for our 2 day stadium and cross country training and I learned something. The stadium jumping before at the Mother's Day show really kinda scared both Traveler and I. I didn't think it effected me that much, but both of our confidences were shaken a little bit because of the rough go. As I said before, we made it through it, but by the skin of our teeth. From speaking with other riders who were there, they had a really hard time too.

I would say that it took over an hour of practice jumping before Traveler and I were "back at it" with our normal sense of confidence. It was really fortunate this training took place so close to the end of the last experience so we could confront our fear, learn from it and go on.

As far as Traveler's behavior, he was a gentleman and was able to keep focused on me and the task at hand - which is especially more difficult now that we are in the middle of breeding season. I was very proud of him - you just never know what kind of day it's going to be (for any horse, really.) Thankfully, it was a good weekend.

The next day was cross-country jumping. We attacked the water jumps and when it came for our turn, we received the highest praise for being the only team that sailed through the jumps correctly and into the water. But Traveler loves the water, so that part was really fun. We even did the prelim water bank - jumping a log at top of the bank and down into the water.

However, I came really, really close to failing off over one jump and the instructor told me, "that's what you get for leaning forward", as I am desperately trying to hang onto Traveler's neck and turn him in a circle to keep him from galloping off. And I am paying for this??? Ha ha ha. (She has seen us survive much worse.) But my heart was beating pretty fast for awhile after that. And then she told us to do it again and again and again until we had it down.

Ending on a high note - we did our first coffin (jump, ditch, jump in quick sequence) and Traveler was the only horse that didn't even look at the ditch. He has those figured out - there's nothing to really jump, you just have to sail over it.

Now to bore you with more pix from last weekend. I was able to get a couple of good pictures from my friend's camara (my husband can barely keep the camara from shaking when I am jumping) and so I am sharing them with you. You work so hard for these Events that I really am proud of the photos, so bear with me.....

This was during the stadium round - you can see the look of intense concentration on my face. And can you see how high he is jumping over the rails. You can barely see the rails in the picture. In speaking with other more experienced riders, they said that their horses just launched over the jumps too because the horse's hooves were getting stuck in the muddy clay. I love this picture of him though....


Here's a pix of our taking the house - but at another angle. Really, you can't have too many pictures of us at this jump. Here were are suspended in air. He's clearing this one too.


Stadium round pix, flying through the air. Those back legs are not hitting the poles.


And finally, the "money shot". I am so happy with this picture, it's just perfect. Traveler looks great, he's in the air and I look okay too. (My left leg really likes to come back when we jump, I think I'll tie it in place. )



That's all for us for awhile, now to concentrate on making babies.......






11 comments:

  1. You both look great, great pictures too. You both have some balls to do that. Jumping like that high scares me. This is how you promote the breed, keep you the good work and show those straight horse what curlies can do. Did you guys place at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you guys are having a wonderful time. The pictures are really nice and you look really nice together too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tiffany - we did place 8th and received a nice ribbon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous post as usual! Wow, I just love your pictures and story. You two look so fancy and professional, and I agree with Tiffany that both of you must have pretty big kahoonahs, literally or figuratively. -Susan in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is just amazing. I hardly see any curlies jumping like you and Traveler are. Since I am just beginning jumping againa myself I am inspired by what you are doing. And I'm not even riding a stallion!!! I was wondering, which do you prefer, stadium or cross country jumping? I think I prefer cross country so far but I'm sure they will get more and more intimidating LOL.

    Again, GREAT JOB :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pictures of you and Traveler are great!! It looks so great, he really seems to jump these obstacles with ease (he has lots of space left between him and the fence) great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in love with you guys!! Speaking of love...who is concentrating on making babies?? You or Traveler?? : )
    You both look fantastic and you could never bore us with your posts and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donna - you are TOO funny. Traveler is making the babies.... And Anatasia, by far the most exciting for me is cross-country. It certainly is more challenging at times, but so much more fun. Stadium is just so fast and has to be so precise there's rarely time to recover to jump the next fence if you make a mistake. Traveler loves cross-country the best too.

    I am so excited to see all the posts of Curlies learning how to jump. We really are going to take the jumping world by storm. They won't know what hit them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW LOVE the picts!!! You two are BEAUTIFUL together!!!! All of them are money Shots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just too awesome to comment -- I am speechless at your accomplishments !! :)

    ReplyDelete