Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Our First Ride
Time to learn how to ride (or be ridden). This weekend I trailered our 3 year Curly gelding, Khatmoondhu, up to my trainer's place and we had our first "colt breaking" session. We did lots of ground work first, walk-trot-canter transitions, getting used to the tack, and flexing his head
and disengaging the hip. None of this was new to him, he just had to get used to doing it in a new place.
And then I was too chicken to ride him totally alone, so the trainer's wife lunged him for our first ride together and we did walk-trot-canter on the lunge line one way and then the other. And then it was time for our first ride! We did it! No bucking, rearing, falling, just some general confusion on both our parts but we managed to walk-trot-canter around the arena one way and then the other.
I rode him in full western regalia - heavy saddle, breast collar, crupper, double cinch-thingy and a halter & lead rope. He was like a model horse and we have our first ride under us.
We'll be taking it really easy this year, but it was good to introduce him to his purpose in life.
On another note, Traveler and I have signed up for our first recognized USEA three-day event. We will be competing over Mother's Day weekend in Rainer, WA. Good lord, I have butterflies in my stomache just thinking about it. I'll keep you posted.... This weekend we try our hand at the eventing course at Deep Creek in Medical Lake, WA.
- ► 2015 (83)
- ► 2013 (442)
- ► 2011 (1008)
- "Curly & Me" Personal Achievement May Mini Challen...
- BLOG HOG
- Killer Jump
- Ditch Witch
- Yesterday, Chuck helped me start building a simple...
- Upcoming May Mini Contest!
- A family ride!
- Midwest Horse Fair in Madison, WI
- Green Mountain Cowgirls
- Our First Ride
- Back In The Saddle & It's Spring!
- Glorious, Uncanny, Weekend
- Joining Up
- APRIL 17TH??
- Back on the saddle!
- Chill Time
- Texas Wildflowers and American Curlies
- Trips, Trails, and Trailer Adventures
- Okanagan Breeder's Showcase
- Golden Curls Ranch - News Clip
- T-Bars and Flag Tape
- a quite satisfactchall ride !!
- Days Like This
- A Big Weekend for Linus
- A quick note from Colden Curls Ranch
- A disappearing March - April arrives with SUN !
- ▼ April (29)
- ► 2009 (333)