Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy Birthday Canada!

Last year I think I did a little bit of dress up with Linus for Canada Day so this year we kicked it up a notch. With riding Linus a little bit this year I thought it would be fun to do something mounted. Our inspiration came from Dana and Marley...I wanted to teach Linus to walk with a flag while mounted. The first two pictures should be below the first 5 but I think you will get the idea. Linus was such a sport the entire time and it went very smoothly.

Here we are the end of our brief ride. We only went for about 10 minutes but it was long enough to prove that Linus was perfectly happy with me carrying the flag and touching him all over with it.

Such a good boy. His neck-reining really proved handy since my other hand was holding the flag pole!


This is what I first did from the ground to get Linus used to the largest flag he has yet seen. I cleaned him up a bit and then rubbed the flag all over him and covered his head a few times. Then I took a step back and waved it around to make it flap and crack. None of this bothered him. If he did step forward or back I just said Whoa and he was good.


Of course had to try to bite it!


Can't help but love his "unflappableness"


Linus has his first curls!


I put the bareback pad on him and then the blanket my Great Aunt made many years ago. Next came the wig and then up I got with the flag. I just made him stand at first and waved the flag around him while mounted. Then we set off for a short ride. I'm so thrilled to be doing things like this with such a young horse! He was a great sport and it was our brief salute to Canada!
Happy Canada Day!

Donna & Linus
Lunenburg, ON Canada


4 comments:

  1. Donna, you make me laugh! WOW! Linus is going to be the best riding horse ever. That is quite an accomplishment to be able to carry a flag on such a young horse. Obviously, he just loves the attention. What a perfect pair you two make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great dressing up! Linus looks great and he is so trusting, seems like nothing scares him! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very Patriot of you both. Lookin good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Donna! I just loved the pictures, you guys looked wonderful! Linus doesn't seem to mind at all. You are so very creative when it comes to things like this. Yeah for Linus getting to be such a big boy.

    ReplyDelete