Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Lyle Under Saddle

Dear Reader,

With the work of haying and then going to the ABCR convention in VT, it has been almost 4 weeks since I have worked with Lyle. Today it seemed like the right time to re-introduce the saddle to Lyle. (As you remember, I had been riding him bareback.)

Today I took him out of the paddock that he shares with the colt Ziggy. We reviewed his pedestal work very briefly. Then I added a new "trick." Lyle and I started to work on teaching him to stand completely still along side of the pedestal. I wanted him to transfer his learning about standing still ON his pedestal to standing still NEXT TO his pedestal. He learned this concept easily. When he got a little unsure, he would step up on his pedestal/low platform. Then when he felt more confident, he would step off of the pedestal, stand still along side of it and we would resume our work. This was Lyle's language and his way of asking me to slow down and let him think about what I was asking him to do. It was not resistance. Rather it was his way of asking me to consider his needs so that he could serve my needs. I then put the pad and saddle on him. His new learning held firm. He stood still and did not move while being saddled as he stood along side of his platform. (Of course, I rewarded him with a treat for being so very still next to the pedestal. The treat is always proceeded by the bridge term "good boy.") Then he took the bit. I stood on his pedestal/low platform and placed a bucket on it next to Lyle. I mounted from this bucket that was on his platform. I did not want to make the saddle shift over on to Lyle's side and make him feel in a bind when I mounted that is why I used the bucket. Lyle stood still. He was a little unsure because his neck got stiff and his head got high. But he did not move. I mounted with a completely loose rein and no pressure on his mouth or head. His head was not turned to the side, but rather straight in front of him. He kindly let me mount. I did not ask him to move off. Asking him to move out will come later, once his neck is relaxed when I mount him. I must be easy and I must not get "greedy" and ask for to much to soon. I sat on him and when he started to relax I gave him a treat with the words, "Good boy." Once he had relaxed a little I dismounted. Lyle and I will do this again tomorrow. He will tell me when he is ready for me to ask him to move out at the walk.

Thank you for reading this. I hope that it has been of some help to you. I appreciate being able to share a little about the journey that Lyle and I are making.

Sincerely,

Penny Johnson

Bonners Ferry, Idaho


3 comments:

  1. Nice to finally meet you at the ABCR convention! Us Northeasterners could tell you western folk because you wore JEANS in all that heat. :) I like the way you describe your interactions with Lyle. Interesting and informative. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Susan,
    Thank you. Yes, that is the identifying key, us westerners wear jeans.
    I enjoy reading about your work with your horses. It is a good thing to begin to understand what others are doing.
    Sincerely,
    Penny Johnson
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your progres. I especially like that you take the time for Lyle and don't rush things! Sounds like he is making good progress!

    ReplyDelete