Saturday, July 2, 2011

Summer in New Hampshire - 15 days and counting....

My Summer is off to a good start. I haven't missed a day of riding in 15 days - my goal is to ride everyday this summer (rain or shine).

Miss Demeanor (Deams) is currently by herself, as Lakota High Socks continues to wean from mom. I think it has been rougher on her then it is for Lakota. Deams has been "off" - she has seemed lonely and is a bit more grumpy (especially in her heat cycles). I know the weaning has to happen, and I likely attach too much of my own emotions - but I feel so guilty. I'm going to try giving her raspberry leaves to see how she does. Does anyone have experience with the "moody mare syndrome"? Despite her moodiness, she continues to enjoy getting out. I'm sure the exercise and seeing the other horses on our rides is good for her.

It's always exciting when the Hybid Farm Camp people show up. (http://www.hybidfarm.com) They have a special summer program they offer for some of their campers in New Hampshire. The camp lasts for approximately two weeks - and resides on a beautiful piece of property - right behind my house. My neighbors and friends Bob and Kathy, have helped with the camp program for several years, and introduced me to the owner and director of the camp Rita McKonnon. Rita and her staff have graciously included me in on their fun; spending hours on the trails and
participating in their evening games program. The kids are fabulous and the staff are both welcoming and appreciative of my involvement. This year, Bob was asked to speak about natural horsemanship and training. I was asked to do a little presentation/demonstration with Lakota. It was exciting for m
e to introduce the campers to the Curly Horse (most had never heard of the breed) and its history. The campers were really impressed with Lakota's friendly, playful, and fearless disposition. I demonstrated some of the desensitizing techniques (tarp, plastic bag on a stick, pasture ball, etc.) and some round pen and lunging exercises. He was such a good boy! I was amaze
d to watch La
kota, as 24 campers approached (swarmed) him with reaching arms and hands;
he just stood perfectly still and soaked up all the love and attention.

Unfortunately, my hands were busy - so I didn't take any pictures,but here are some recent pictures of my little man.









This is "Jericho" Lakota's stablemate, and new best friend!









I am really looking forward to the Curly Gathering in Springfield, Vermont. I hope to see everyone there this year! Until then......

Happy Trails!

3 comments:

  1. Riding every day is quite an accomplishment and would be a dream come true for me. Maybe Michelle or Betsy would be knowledgeable about the raspberry leaves. Hope to see you in Springfield!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great, riding every day! I cannot match that ambitious plan but am also looking to ride often this summer!
    I have not uses raspberry leaves myself but know people who have, I will ask them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb - I would use some Bach Flower remedies with her. From experience, I know these are phenomenal - a little more work at the start but excellent results. First off -- begin with some rescue remedy now while you formulate the next combination. You can just use the same that one would for humans... they make a spray which is handy - and you can dose her often through out the day at first. then after a few weeks - go to 3X.. then twice. if she's good about it - use the dropper.. you can also put it in her drinking water but I prefer to dose directly.

    ReplyDelete