Friday, July 1, 2011

Bubble Pond

~Susan and *RCR Ah-D-Das in Maine~











On this particular foggy morning while at Acadia National Park, Ah-D and I and our riding companions headed out to Bubble Pond. The public carriages were also heading out about the same time. There are quite a few teams that haul tourists around certain Carriage Roads.
Here is a beautiful team of black Percherons. There are also several Belgian teams and a couple of Clyde teams.
Almost immediately, we ran into wildlife.
Our Thoroughbred companions were none too sure about passing this porcupine that scuttled across the road and onto these rocks, but Ah-D was fine with it. Oh, and I didn’t mention it before, but Ah-D caused quite the commotion when he arrived at the stables. Seemed everyone wanted to meet the Curly! He received many fine compliments, and I was glowing. I even met a friend of Laurie Bryant’s from NH, and we chatted about Laurie’s Pyewacket and Jockomo (bred by Betsy Lirakis). She very nicely gave Ah-D some hay and fresh water one morning when I was running late arriving to the barn.
Ah-D seemed very fresh and happy to be out.
The carriage roads were beautiful, as always. We met quite a few bikers on this day, even with the misty weather.
We passed through the gatehouses that keep traffic off of the carriage trails. If you are driving a rig, you need to get a key from the stables to be able to get your cart or wagon through the gates. Riders on horseback, bikers and walkers can conveniently fit through the passages on the side.
Ah-D and I then posed in front of our summer cottage, as has become our tradition. The Twirp did not want to stand still and look regal like he belonged there. Obviously, we aren’t fooling anyone, but nonetheless it is quite fun.
I hit on a nice elderly couple to take a group photo. Most people at Acadia are on vacation, and they are extremely pleasant and agreeable. The bikers were all also considerate and friendly on this trip, every last one of them.


Here we are as we set out on the Carriage Roads towards our destination.

And here is a view of Bubble Pond. Isn't it just so pleasant and peaceful?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds as though you had a fabulous time. It was fun to hear you were there the same time as Cindy.She told me she'd met you and your wonderful curly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning place to ride Susan! Is it very far from where you live? Love your pics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie, I am so glad you commented because I wanted so badly to remember Cindy's name but just could not. Please tell her thanks again for me; I really appreciated what she did for Ah-D when he was feeling cold, wet and lonely. He was in a corner stall and not protected from the wind-blown rain. Cindy is a peach!!!!
    Donna, it takes 4-5 hours to get the Acadia from my house. Every time I go, I am re-amazed at the incredible beauty. I'd love to live on Mt Desert Island!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great ride! Such great vieuws and things to see! I wish I could join you there for a ride!

    ReplyDelete