Friday, July 15, 2011

Summer is flying by (sorry it will be long)

Hello Everybody,

It's been about 2 months since I've posted so I thought I better jump on quick and give an update. I always say I'll wait until I have pictures to post but I'm not great with remembering the camera.

So Theo and I's jumping career is on hold due to lack of a trainer. Ours got really busy with shows and we haven't been able to get consistant lessons. We are still jumping about once a week on our own and will most likely attend another show in August but with no improvement over the last.
I had a chiropractor out for Theo and my non-curly gelding. Theo was out in a few places but I can't say I noticed a huge difference in his riding. He stills needs reminders to bend going clockwise and it's worse at the canter. Right now that is what we are focusing on because we need to be able stay in the canter through the fences.
We went on our first trail ride since last fall. I've been intimated by his buddy sourness so I've just been trail riding Abby. I took a friend with to just get him out and I think he enjoyed himself. We got to hand gallop a lot because the deer flys were so bad I thought we hit a bee's nest. Even full galloping we couldn't get away from them.
After the nice gallop I decided to see if he would like to cool of the small pond. I wasn't sure if he would remember it was okay to go into at first but he jumped right in and started pawing. I got to cool off by getting wet too!

On to Abby,
We were very busy these past few months. Abby and I attended a Liz Graves Clinic at the begining of June for my birthday. It was fun and I learned some. I think it was just good to get out and travel with her. Throughout June I trail road her alot to prepare for our big July 4th camping trip. We went for 3 nights over the Holiday weekend. It was Abby's first time camping and she did Awesome! We set up a portable fence for her and Amigo. They went right in and started eating the grass like it was a totally normal situation.
Abby lead, followed, overcame her mud issue and walked through belly deep water. Her friend Amigo the show horse had some troubles with the mud and water so Abby had to pull him in a couple times. She is the ultimate trail horse! We road for 3-5 hours each day and I didn't get sore or tired at all.. Gotta love the gaited horse!

We are starting to prepare for her first show in Sept. I don't expect to do great but I want get out and promote the curly and what better way then a Open Gaited horse show. I bet they won't be expecting me :-)

Well I will try to update more and with pics/videos I do get on and read some but don't have time to post. Keep riding and being safe! We only have 3 good months left before the cold.

1 comment:

  1. Wow riding 3-5 hourse each day with Abby! That would give me sore muscles I think. It does sound great though and I am getting back in riding shape so who knows I will get some longer rides in too!
    Good luck with the preparations for the show!

    ReplyDelete