Monday, February 16, 2009

Introducing......

There are many people on this list who already have been introduced to Mocha in one way or another. But, could everyone just humor me and act like this is the first time you have seen him :-)

This is Mocha. He is a gelding that we have been fostering at our home since October. And, he has snuck his way right into our hearts!! We are fostering him through the Curly Horse Rescue. Just last month, I applied to ADOPT Mocha. So, hopefully he will become a permanent fixutre on our property.

As you can tell from this particular picture, Mocha is VERY serious!! Actually, this is after our ride, so he is VERY tired. And, yes, I know, in desperate need of a bath and Denise's mane care. But, the Michigan weather has not been very good for bathing.

It seems my riding lately has not been very well planned. It has just been a spur of the moment thing. Like, I am in the middle of doing laundry and I say "I am going to go ride." So, while I am putting the clothes in the dryer I am putting on my boots and hat. But, this is okay with me because sometimes I can get myself geeked up anticipating a ride.

We have been working alot with Mocha on basically just walking when we ask him too. He seems to get "stuck." So, after saddling this GIANT beast at 15+ hands, I decided that was what my goal would be for this ride. (Someone please tell me what the attraction is to tall horses??? Very scary!!) We played some games on the ground and he was very responsive, so I just knew it would be a great ride.

And what a ride!! He broke into a walk almost every time I asked with no hesitation. Only twice did I have to tap him on the bum with a savvy string. Mocha was light in my hands, backed up when I asked, bent around my leg. It was amazing!! He even did the one rein stop WITH disengaging his rump at the same time. He did not mind that Dude and Chloe were bouncing around behind him. It was just a really great experience. I even got a couple strides of a trot out of him. I wish I was a showring person, because that is where this boy belongs. He is so elegant and big in his movements.


I have had a couple bad experiences with Mocha since he has been at my house. But, I am learning to trust him, just as he is learning to trust me. He always seems to give us his best and that is all we could ask of him. He is an amazing animal with a lot of history, but hopefully the best and brightest future!

My husband is concerned that I will replace Billy with Mocha. I told him that is ridiculous!! Billy is truly "my horse". I tried to explain to him that it is the best of both worlds - like having a Mercedes and a Ford truck!!

8 comments:

  1. Laura! You and Mocha look amazing together!!! I am so excited for you and for Mocha's future at the Kiblers! ;-) Now when we are riding together, we will be at eye level and I won't be looking down at you on your pony! HA! Just kidding!!!!!! Billy is not that short....14.3 is a great size. Okay, so now I want to know -- are you calling Billy a Ford Truck? I am sure you mean he is the Mercedes, right? hee hee. Just gotta raz ya a little. Thanks for sharing....please keep the stories coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 14.3 is the perfect size!! I do not enjoy the intial feeling of getting on Mocha, but I seem to forget how high I am after a couple rounds. I absolutely am NOT calling Billy a Ford Truck. (I have to say that because Denise is the one who raised Billy and sold him to me. hahahah). Actually, Billy is more like a Mac Truck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to hear from you, Laura! Variety is the spice of life. It's good for your confidence and riding skills to change it up once in a while. Maybe it will make Billy a little jealous and more anxious to please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny, Laura!!! Ya know, I know that Mac Truck feeling....they will bulldoze through just about anything won't they? Just like a big ol' steam engine. ;-) Reese is probably a Truck too...of some sort. Still figuring out which make and model. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post, Laura!!! Mocha looks fantastic, and you two look so good together! I know with gentleness and patience, Mocha will be a very willing partner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Susan! I can see the jealousy seeping out of Billy when I ride. At least that is how I interpert it. :-)

    Hey Denise...not sure of the make and model, but I think a dulley (? spelling) is definitely part of the build. That is a REALLY BIG truck with four tires in the back. hehehehe!

    Hi Michelle - He does look awesome and he tries so hard. And thanks to you for helping bring him into my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you about tall horses -- the farther to fall. :) But, I am in the process of looking for a tall curly gelding myself, because my husband is 6.2 and needs a tall, strong horse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. *sorry, I meant to say 6 ft 2 inches.

    ReplyDelete