Sunday, February 22, 2009

Late Day Ride

Early this afternoon, I headed out to the barn anticipating a ride. I changed my mind after two spooks before I even got AhD into the barn to tack up! He was bent out of shape about the snow falling off of the barn roof I guess, so I changed my plans and went snowshoeing with the dogs. Still...knowing a big nor'easter is headed our way tonight, I figured today may be my last chance to ride for quite a while. Back out to the barn I headed, to retrieve my pony from his cozy stall and hay-loaded manger. Just as I suspected, eating peacefully in his stall for a few hours did wonders for his attitude. I had a hankering for a change, and saddled him up English. No pretty pink or blue saddle blanket, but he is still a handsome devil!
Once on the road, AhD did one of those all-over shakes to rattle my bones. He must have felt dusty or something.
We scared up that same big deer on the trail. AhD decided that he was frightened of it today. I convinced him we were continuing on anyway.
On the way home, after being a fairly good boy, the wind must have changed direction or something. Ooops, pinned back ears and then a small bolt. Just because, I guess. I felt comfortable in my seat, and those ears had given me a great heads-up, so no worries. My English saddle isn't the most comfortable thing, but it has a narrow twist to it and allows me to have so much more leg contact than my Western or Australian. I made AhD go back and forth along that stretch of trail a few times. Just because, I guess. :) I am thankful to have made it out for a nice ride today before we get whalloped again with a storm, and I'm truly blessed and thankful to have a wonderful Curly such as AhD as a riding partner.

4 comments:

  1. Susan, I'm trying your way I signed in first and will see if this works.
    It seems no matter how long you have ridden your favorite horse is always there to show you you aren't as smart as you think, I think most people forget a horse has a brain and are always working on the pecking order even with homans. One should always stay on their toes around horses and be humble and willing to learn.
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHA! There you are, Harold. Full of wisdom and good advice as usual. Can't wait to see what you and your pink saddle blanket are up to. I may be out of riding commission for a while because of all the snow, but perhaps I can convince my neighbor to break a nice trail for me with his snowmobile. The days are longer and the sun is stronger. I have reservations for a 5-day vacation in Acadia National Park in September; will you be going to the Badlands again this year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, My brothers and I are planing on going to the Bad Lands towards the end of May, we are hoping on good weather and no Bees out there at that time. We are going for a week, I think it will be the last time for my brothers I hope not, time will tell. To be on the safe side I will take my RED blanket for Curly.
    I will take a picture of me petting a buffalo just for you

    ReplyDelete