Saturday, February 28, 2009

Would you believe it has been a month since I last posted. I have been riding a few times these past 2 months. I never thought I would ride during winter but I have given it a try and . . . . . I like it! I took my mare Whinnie out into the pasture to get her used to being away from my other 2 horses and she did okay. The first time I rode her away from the pen, I forgot to lock the gate and the other 2 came running up and they were bucking and playing. Whinnie wanted to join them but we held it together. I did get off and walk back with her after going a little ways with them playing. I do like the curly personality because they are very trusting. I could have kept going but what if??? Any ways, I locked the other two up again and went on my way and we did fine.

Just this week Whinnie and I went out riding and we are working on trotting and circles. I took her into a different pasture where she can't see the others and we worked for an hour. I was wanting to canter but I decided not to after she got shook by a motorcycle that stopped on the corner by my house. She sees them all of the time driving by but not while under saddle. When I first had her trained, all of the riding we have done is down on the local state park trails.

By the way, would you believe the southeast part of South Dakota had beautiful weather and we melted all of our snow over these past few weeks. Of course, we just got rain (ice) on thursday and snow on friday. There goes anymore riding for awhile. It is way to slippery out there to make it worthwhile. Good luck to everyone in the RAC program this year!

1 comment:

  1. Robin, I set here in centeral Minnesota and read your post with a Motorcyle in it and I'm amazed a couple of days ago we had 6 inches of snow and this morning we have 20 below!!!!
    Harold and cold

    ReplyDelete