Monday, February 16, 2009

Sharing is the most fun of all!! :-)

This weekend several friends from where I work came over to meet the Curlies!! While feeding them organic carrots, petting their lush Curls, kissing noses, and in general enjoying them was nice, they wanted to ride too. Some of you may know my two most reliable riding horses, Epona and Lyra, are laid up with hoof abscesses right now. My one mare who is sound is a little fast right now, for beginners, which really only leaves Rhys, my stud horse, not typically the mount of choice for beginners either. However Rhys and I have been doing a lot together lately and he has been such a remarkable partner, I thought we'd try. Last weekend he gave my friend Caryn, my nine year old niece, Shaylise, Shaylise's Mom, and myself on the lunge, a riding lesson and was a perfect gentleman for it all.
He did not let me down this weekend either!! What an incredible guy he is!!
Before anyone arrived I hopped on Rhys to see how he was feeling for the day, here's a pic of us just having a good time. :-)

Here's a couple pictures taken of Rhys with our guests. I just can not say enough about him!
Rhys and Rachel:

Rhys and Llaura:

After having guests ride, Brandon agreed to get on Rhys also, I love watching Brandon ride, he has such a nice, natural seat to him, I thought he and Rhys looked pretty sharp together!!

After everyone else had ridden, I thought, for fun, I'd try something with Rhys we've never done together before. When visiting one of Rhys's offspring, where Rhys actually started his training, the trainer told me she had taught Rhys to lay down. So I asked him to lay down. He did! I then rode him up and am looking forward to asking him to lay down while I'm riding! We'll see how it goes!! I'm a little nervous asking him to do it, as I don't want him to hurt himself doing what i ask. I'm going to have to teach all of my horses this trick though, talk about a handy one!!





And lastly, I got to ride with my brother, Ryan, which happens about as infrequently as getting my partner, Brandon, on a horse. Amusingly enough Ryan kept sneaking off behind to go trotting, which he loves!! He was on Caryn's Star while I rode Rhys... what a day!!

I think I enjoy sharing my Curly horses with others and giving lessons to those who want them and those who maybe don't realize how much they want them yet, at least as much as I enjoy riding myself... maybe even more. I had an absolutely wonderful day!!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed seeing the pictures of all the different people riding, but most of all, I love the lying down and mount up trick. Cool! This would work great for a too-tall horse. You have good partnerships with your horses. I stood next to an 18.2 hand warmblood yesterday. What a thrill! His regular trot was like AhD's high-snow airy trot.

    ReplyDelete