Sunday, April 12, 2009

Capitol Forest Trail Ride!!!

It's been a little while since last I wrote, my apologies, the weather has been atrocious here and the few times I've gotten out have been quick, still in the rain, and as a result, no pics.
Went on my first official outing with my own horses, off the property today!! Caryn and I took Star and Lyra out to "trail" ride in Capitol Forest. The actual trails are still closed to horses, so we were riding on the logging roads, not technically trails, fun none the less though!! Ryan (my brother and Caryn's other half) and Brandon (my other half) accompanied us on their mountain bikes. What a blast!!!!
I was thrilled with how well both Lyra and Star behaved, made me really happy to see all of the work we've been doing with them pay off so nicely, they were both a pleasure. Neither has left the property since moving here and never to go ride elsewhere, also their riding training here has been very inconsistent to say the least with all the rain and bad weather we've had this winter; they both just took everything in stride though, no spooking, no trying to head back to the trailer, only really good behavior. Lyra really wanted to go, go, go, and if it hadn't been encroaching on dark, we might have been out a lot longer than we were, as it was, I think it was a good amount of experience and exercise without being too much. I think it was a fantastic experience for them both, we encountered a few cars, a couple motor bikes, of course the mountain bikes, a few puddles, and well, just riding someplace new was a novelty in itself. We are seriously considering riding at next Saturday's team penning event, we will see though.

Thought I'd share a couple of pics from the day, hope you enjoy! :-)

And yes, I'm wearing my "Incredible Curly Horse" sweatshirt, very comfy, I highly recommend everyone have one from Denise's site. My RAC t-shirt was on under the sweatshirt in case it ended up being warm enough, sadly we got a late start and it was not warm enough. Really fantastic day though, I can't wait to head out again!!! :-) :-) :-)

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like my kind of ride! The sweatshirt is very snazzy and goes well with the beautious gray, too; is that Lyra or Star?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks; my kinda ride too, I'm going to have to make a point of doing this more often, it was sooooo much fun!!
    Lyra is the gray, although she is also grulla, makes me really sad that she is graying out all of her stripes. Star is the bay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool blog, I just found it today! Looks like you have fun with your curly horses! I think it would be cool to ride one, people around here do not have curlies so I have never even seen one in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I do have fun with my Curlies, need to up date my blog, but Curlies are very cool to just be around, let alone ride; they are also wonderful to ride. :-)
    So you're in Hitterdale MN?, if you ever get over to Waseca, Twisted Oaks Farm is there, they are standing the gorgeous stallion Hawk's Midnite Shadow and they have several other Curlies. I'm not aware of anyone else closer, but I have to say, Curlies are one incredible breed. I can't imagine anyone having one, not having a lot of fun with theirs, the Curlies are just incredibly personable, sweet natured, wonderful companions. I highly, HIGHLY recommend you go meet at least one in the not too distant future! :-)

    ReplyDelete